Supermicro I/O Shield Plates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Usually need one when transfering a MB from a 1U to another chassis. I've always bought them on eBay and usually from a Chinese seller. This time I needed one for an X10SRM-F and the only one I could find was $29. Thought this was a bit rich so I checked the Supermicro store. $8.70. I had to set up an account but after that it was easy. Now I'm thinking about buying them in bulk and reselling them for $29, with a healthy shipping charge too. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Puccio

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
$29 for a piece of metal that costs $0.5 or less to make. Ohh Lawwddd

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Am I the only one that tends to leave these out, so more air can flow over the VRMs? At least, on the boards with the tiny VRM heatsink right up against that rear I/O?

As for reference, back in the day (circa 2006) when the fastest CPU was an 800Mhz FSB 3.0 Ghz Dual Core Pentium-D, I overclocked to a "Top 5 Benchmark" record holder to 1200Mhz FSB @ 4.5 Ghz (50% overclock!) on watercooling the CPU - I did NOT watercool the Northbridge like everyone else did. I was the only one using the stock Asus-modified-board (soldering!) heatsink on the Northbridge (now at 1200 Mhz) and the VRM heatsinks.

The only way I could get anywhere close to stable was to remove the rear-I/O plate for the air to flow out the back, over the heatsinks.

The board is long gone, but I did keep those heatsinks as they are a great reminder of the serious heat back then. They were black anodized alum, that CHANGED COLORS to a very shiny mix of purple and gold. Very impressive that they got that hot - and I was able to throw up some serious gaming FPS perfectly stable, for hours of sessions (Voodoo 2 SLI, and I think upgraded to 3dfx 5500 series at the EOL). Hard to say I've had such a stable system ever since then, that thing was rock stable.

I need to dig up those heatsinks and write a story about it...

Reactions: XeonSam

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, it's probably OK to leave them out but without them the ass end just looks so incomplete. Kinda like a car with a door missing.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Yea, it's probably OK to leave them out but without them the ass end just looks so incomplete. Kinda like a car with a door missing.
Now you're making fun of my FJ Cruiser, with no doors (did it one summer, eh). People with jeeps, stripped down. LOL

But yeah, looks ugly.

Since I've been bitten by the 3d CAD bug, with my 3d printers, I did have some thoughts of creating a generic model that people could customize for rear I/O shields - with air-cooling holes or slots!

OpenSCAD is a very different parametric CAD program that uses pure scripting. The advantage to this is that it can read dynamic variables that any Joe can create, and run the CLI for OpenSCAD to generate the output. Think, "NIC1@22x5" for a block cut out 22mm on X and 5mm from the bottom Y. OpenSCAD would parse and generate the output.

Though I prefer FreeCAD, which is heavy with Python scripting features too. However, it's CLI is pretty - complicated and doesn't follow any real standards (just annoys me).

Point being, having a dynamic model that can be "customized" by simple variables in a text file - so the end user doesnt have to know anything about CAD. Just be able to measure millimeters accurately, and 3d print.

Reactions: BShoppy and Fritz

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
Am I the only one that tends to leave these out, so more air can flow over the VRMs? At least, on the boards with the tiny VRM heatsink right up against that rear I/O?
I leave mine out too. It has nothing to do with cooling, or aesthtics, it's just that while building I know I need to peek in once in a while to make sure no red lights are blinking. Makes me feel I have more visible control? And I'm lazy.

In terms of cooling, I do hear it makes a small difference with it on, but I haven't experienced this, or have enough data (experience/benchmarks) to validate this for myself. It's like how Dell says you need to have the ram blanks to improve cooling of the server. It makes No difference with or without. It just looks cooler with them all on. More complete.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
1U shield plates are full of holes so how much of a difference can they make cooling wise.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My shield plates arrived from Supermicro today and I must say there were very well packed and top notch quality. They're the ones with the insulation on the inside. Guess the ones without this insulation (that's what it looks like) must be cheap Chinese knockoffs. I have mostly cheap knockoffs and only 3 top quality.

Very pleased with Supermicro's service, now Fed Ex is another story, they were supposed to arrive yesterday. Does Fed Ex deliver anything on time?