Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I recently got a H12SSL-i and Epyc 7302, I spent almost 2 days pulling hair out and cannot complete windows 10 pro installation.

Latest clue is windows installed a driver for AMD PSP and then the system would freeze and next reboot will not get me into Windows.

Do I need TPM AOM-TPM-9665V module? I don't think this mobo came with one.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What ISO did you use? There was a Buggy Update/Driver that shipped with older Versions.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
What ISO did you use? There was a Buggy Update/Driver that shipped with older Versions.
I got the ISO from Microsoft Action Pack. The ISO has various versions on it (Home/Pro/N/...), but I forgot what date it was.

I want to add that the install went fine, it is when Windows is trying to search for appropriate driver (I think on internet), the PSP driver gets updated and machine freezes.

One of the test I've removed Ethernet cable and was able to properly install graphics drivers but some soon after I plug the Ethernet cable in, the missing driver gets updated and machine freezes.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The ISO has various versions on it (Home/Pro/N/...), but I forgot what date it was.
I didn't mean that version but more the iso version (microsoft names them after the current version + last update;eg 22h1 updated january 2023)

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I didn't mean that version but more the iso version (microsoft names them after the current version + last update;eg 22h1 updated january 2023)
SW_DVD9_Win_10_2004_64BIT_English_Home_Pro_SL_S_N_OEM_2_X22-29847.iso is what I burned the USB with.

I got it from MAP on Jan 13, 2023

Just noticed there is a 21H1 ISO version. I'll try that one.

Last edited:

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Happy to report installed windows without plugging the Ethernet cable, installed all proper chipset drivers from Supermicro, reboot, plug in ethernet and everything went fine....

Now if there is a way to control the PWM fans, it spins up every 5 seconds and it's getting annoying

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Happy to report installed windows without plugging the Ethernet cable, installed all proper chipset drivers from Supermicro, reboot, plug in ethernet and everything went fine....

Now if there is a way to control the PWM fans, it spins up every 5 seconds and it's getting annoying

You can do this on Windows tool too, the commands are same. I just set up my Linux box to do this dance via systemd on boot up.

e: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ipmi-fan-control-on-windows.26095/post-240951

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The cpus should have a tpm module integrated, but I read in a few places that they could make problems with bios updates in combination with secureboot. If you want to be 100% safe get a tpm module.

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
The cpus should have a tpm module integrated, but I read in a few places that they could make problems with bios updates in combination with secureboot. If you want to be 100% safe get a tpm module.
I'm not sure if Epyc has fTPM like Ryzens do

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
I recently got a H12SSL-i and Epyc 7302, I spent almost 2 days pulling hair out and cannot complete windows 10 pro installation.

Latest clue is windows installed a driver for AMD PSP and then the system would freeze and next reboot will not get me into Windows.

Also I don't think Windows 10 cares about TPM at all

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
Update: I requested an RMA with Supermicro and they replaced my board.

I did some research and it seems like BMC issues are not rare on the H12SSL-i. Many reports on Chinese tech forums about BMC failures on H12 series mobos, mostly H12SSL:

BMC issues with this series seem to be pretty prevalent

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
to low RPM FANs. Noctua ?
Correct, Noctua fans

You can do this on Windows tool too, the commands are same. I just set up my Linux box to do this dance via systemd on boot up.

e: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ipmi-fan-control-on-windows.26095/post-240951
Managed to get around to this machine today, used ipmitool to adjust the lower limits as IPMI was thinking the fans are dead so it tries to spin it up to max again and again...

BMC issues with this series seem to be pretty prevalent
I think its the lower fan limit that caused the problem. I had made the adjustment 3 hours ago and it has been dead silent for me.

I haven't encountered any problems with Windows 10 Pro.. so I'll keep an eye on it.

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
What are the VRMs on the board rated for? I'm hitting 90C with 280W and I'm not sure if that's safe...

Any cooling mods?

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
Hi all! Has anyone been able to see their power supply connected via smbus in the BMC web interface?

I have a Supermicro PWS-865-PQ power supply connected via smbus to h12ssl-c (screenshot attached).

The System > Component Info > PSU section of the web interface says "No data available" (screenshot attached). In the System > Component Info > Power section, there are just empty power consumption graphs, no data (screenshot attached).

The maximum that I could see about the power supply:
Code:
# ipmitool raw 0x06 0x52 0x07 0x70 0x01 0x0c
Please, those whose power supply is visible in the BMC, respond and indicate the model of the power supply.

Attachments

Last edited:

dnb

Nov 19, 2022
Some observations about NVME m.2. Initially, I bought 2 pcs Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsinc. They both do not fit, it is impossible to install either the right or the left of them evenly. In addition, on h12ssl-c, the right nvme is threatened by a very hot heatsink to its right. It stood so unevenly that I actually regretted my attempts to put them in. Better not even try to install NVME with heatsinks there in order to avoid damage to the connector if the installation is uneven. If you want to see the correct spacing between NVMEs, take a look at aoc-slg3-2m2, also made by Supermicro.

Then I bought another Samsung 980 pro, but without Heatsink. I put it in the right of the 2 slots, but the temperature did not suit me (smartctl showed 2 sensors 45 and 51 Celsius). I basically did not want to use NVME without Heatsink, and returned it to the seller.

As a result, I installed the same Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsing into a Supermicro aoc-slg3-2m2 adapter (which, by the way, has PCI-3.0 only). In this adapter, they are blown better and have a lower temperature:

Code:
# smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 | grep "Model Number\|Temperature Sensor 1\|Temperature Sensor 2"
Model Number:                       Samsung SSD 980 PRO with Heatsink 1TB
Temperature Sensor 1:               35 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               40 Celsius

# smartctl -a /dev/nvme1 | grep "Model Number\|Temperature Sensor 1\|Temperature Sensor 2"
Model Number:                       Samsung 980 PRO with Heatsink 1TB
Temperature Sensor 1:               37 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               41 Celsius

jsmith65

Mar 23, 2023
I think I already know the answer to this question, but does anyone know if what OP seemed to imply is true? It seems as though he's saying that I could, with a SlimSAS x8 (SFF-8654) to 2x MiniSAS (SFF-8087) cable, connect my H12SSL-NT motherboard directly to my BPN-SAS2-846EL1 SAS backplane? This seems unlikely to me as the motherboard manual specifically states that these ports, via a jumper, can only be used for either NVMe or 8 SATA ports with a breakout cable. It seems that you'd need a SAS controller which the NT variant doesn't have. Am I right in my assumption that I cannot use these SlimSAS ports to connect my SAS backplane, or is what OP seems to say right?

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Some observations about NVME m.2. Initially, I bought 2 pcs Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsinc. They both do not fit, it is impossible to install either the right or the left of them evenly. In addition, on h12ssl-c, the right nvme is threatened by a very hot heatsink to its right. It stood so unevenly that I actually regretted my attempts to put them in. Better not even try to install NVME with heatsinks there in order to avoid damage to the connector if the installation is uneven. If you want to see the correct spacing between NVMEs, take a look at aoc-slg3-2m2, also made by Supermicro.

Then I bought another Samsung 980 pro, but without Heatsink. I put it in the right of the 2 slots, but the temperature did not suit me (smartctl showed 2 sensors 45 and 51 Celsius). I basically did not want to use NVME without Heatsink, and returned it to the seller.

As a result, I installed the same Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsing into a Supermicro aoc-slg3-2m2 adapter (which, by the way, has PCI-3.0 only). In this adapter, they are blown better and have a lower temperature:

Code:
# smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 | grep "Model Number\|Temperature Sensor 1\|Temperature Sensor 2"
Model Number:                       Samsung SSD 980 PRO with Heatsink 1TB
Temperature Sensor 1:               35 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               40 Celsius

# smartctl -a /dev/nvme1 | grep "Model Number\|Temperature Sensor 1\|Temperature Sensor 2"
Model Number:                       Samsung 980 PRO with Heatsink 1TB
Temperature Sensor 1:               37 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               41 Celsius
I just bought a 40x80 mm heatsink from Ali, added thermal pad and used ziptie to secure them to disks. I have 980 Pro at 42C and 970 Evo at 43 C now.