Supermicro H12SSL-i does not boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gvi70000

May 5, 2022
Hi,
I Just have received my new Supermicro H12SSL-i MB to build my home server. Unfortunately seems that my system is broken as I am not able to start the machine.
After I turn on the power supply the LE1 LED blinks quickly until the LEDM1 (BMC) starts to blinks quickly and then if off. The BMC then goes in the heart beat mode that I find normal from manual, however the LE1 should stay lit.
I have access to BMC through IPMI interface, but the CPU and the RAM amount is not correct as I am using Epyc 7262 and 4x Samsung 3200 stick’s. I need to mention that I have re-seated the CPU several times.

Anyone ahs any idea what might be wrong?
Thank you for your support.

Attachments

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
i had a very similar issues with X11 board recently, two things to check:
- jumper JPG1 to position VGA enable.
- after that turn off the computer completely, unplug the power cord, wait a while, take out the battery and do the CMOS reset.

that helped to me that time..

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
have a look in the ipmi at the postcode snoop page.
Not sure how it is named on the H12, h11 was i think "postcode snooping" under Misc or close to it.
It should display a two digit number with a refresh button.
We need those two digits when the board is running.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
It is under Maintanance/Troubleshooting and then inside the window POST Snooping instead of System Crash Dump, according to this:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have access to BMC through IPMI interface, but the CPU and the RAM amount is not correct as I am using Epyc 7262 and 4x Samsung 3200 stick’s
as Spartus already correct mentioned, the CPU/RAM information in the IPMI is updated by the BIOS after successfull POST.
what you see is the CPU/RAM from the last working conf.POST.

have you connected both JPWR1 & JPWR2 ?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have changed the coin cell battery and tried to re-flash the BIOS with apply immediately option but the result is the same, bios version is still 2.1
this information is updated after successfull POST by the BIOS(CPU)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
FF is the first postcode on SM Boards, others usually use 00.
That means that the RAM has absolutely nothing to do with your issue.

The Bios is the most common one, since you flashed that, that is starting to look bleak.
Is that an ES CPU? Rome ES can have such behavior with incompatible Bioses.
If that is a Naples CPU, that would also be expected.

If not, you likely have a defective Motherboard or CPU.
Do you have amultimeter to measure some things?

Tristana

Jan 25, 2022
CPU is not correctly identified. So update BMC firmware and BIOS to the latest version using IPMI.

gvi70000

May 5, 2022
as Spartus already correct mentioned, the CPU/RAM information in the IPMI is updated by the BIOS after successfull POST.
what you see is the CPU/RAM from the last working conf.POST.

have you connected both JPWR1 & JPWR2 ?
Yes

CPU new ?
No, it was working in a H11SSL according to the previous owner
Do you have amultimeter to measure some things?
Yes
CPU is not correctly identified. So update BMC firmware and BIOS to the latest version using IPMI.
The BMC is updated, I have checked yesterday. Only the BIOS is not updated even if I am not getting any error message when I flash the new version.

The biggest issue i see is the fact that I cant get to bios. Do you know if is possible to get into BIOS using IPMI in my current situation?

Last edited: