Supermicro H12SSL-i does not boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The biggest issue i see is the fact that I cant get to bios.
looks to me the motherboard is not new(unused) maybe still a customer return.
can you return this board to seller and buy other ?
can you provide photo from other siide if the cooler(ATX24P conns.)
what PSU you use ? (type wattage)
CPU clean ? (any type of pure alcolhol)

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
CPU is not correctly identified. So update BMC firmware and BIOS to the latest version using IPMI.
The BMC is updated, I have checked yesterday. Only the BIOS is not updated even if I am not getting any error message when I flash the new version.

The biggest issue i see is the fact that I cant get to bios. Do you know if is possible to get into BIOS using IPMI in my current situation?
The FRU* Hadware Info is only updated once the Bios is reached.
I think similar is or at least, can be the case with the bios version display.

So those not matching is a red hering.

@gvi70000 can you please post a picture of the socket without CPU in it so that all pins are visible?
Might be some bent pins.

gvi70000

May 5, 2022
Hello all,

First I want to thank you all for your support in solving my issue.
I have managed to find someone that was willing to help me with a similar CPU/MB.
The CPU that I have is OK but the MB has the same behavior with his CPU, so the conclusion is that the MB is defective.

I will have to return it and get a different one.

Best regards,
Ion

Reactions: RolloZ170

Tristana

Jan 25, 2022
Hello all,

First I want to thank you all for your support in solving my issue.
I have managed to find someone that was willing to help me with a similar CPU/MB.
The CPU that I have is OK but the MB has the same behavior with his CPU, so the conclusion is that the MB is defective.

I will have to return it and get a different one.

Best regards,
Ion
The MB is broken if you confirm that your power supply is OK.LE1 LED should never blink, as you said it should stay lit.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I just bought a H12SSL-i motherboard. I am trying to use memory that worked in my H11SSL-i motherboard.
I have 4 sticks of 32gb 2666 memory.
When I first booted the H12SSL, I got a supermicro splash screen. It rebooted itself and I got another supermicro splash screen.
I have had no video since then.

I can access the IMPI and it shows the 2666 mhz sticks. I have asked supermicro support if 3200 mhz memory is required, and they say that all the recommend memory is 3200 mhz.

Does anyone have a H12SSL working with memory that is slower than 3200 mhz?

Stofarius

Aug 11, 2023
I had EXACTLY the same behaviour for an H12SSL-i which I juste bought. LE1 was blinking and then turning off, through IPMI it was reporting a 7252 CPU and different RAM. The board was tested by the seller before sending it and worked for him. What was even strange, is that the seller tested the MB with a 7302 CPU so I really don't understand how 7252 was identified...

What I did, was to unmount the MB from the chassis, I noted that one of CPU cooler's screw was not well fitted. I fixed that and then I was able to get a POST.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What was even strange, is that the seller tested the MB with a 7302 CPU so I really don't understand how 7252 was identified...
the inventory shows you last working conf. . if the new CPU/RAM not POST, no update.
What was even strange, is that the seller tested the MB with a 7302 CPU so I really don't understand how 7252 was identified...
he tested with 7252 for sure.

Last edited:

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I didn't see a POST screen; I saw a supermicro splash screen.
On my H11SSL-i, it takes about 30 seconds to see the POST messages.
On the H12SSL-i, I saw the supermicro splash screen within 1-2 seconds of powering up.
Supermicro says I need 3200 memory, so I ordered some.

This is with a brand new H12SSLi motherboard, and a 7B13 cpu from parts_cafe.
If necessary, I could put in my 7302 processor that is working in my H11SSL-i to see the motherboard is ok, but I would prefer not to swap CPUs. I should have the 3200 memory in a few days.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Hi,
I Just have received my new Supermicro H12SSL-i MB to build my home server. Unfortunately seems that my system is broken as I am not able to start the machine.
After I turn on the power supply the LE1 LED blinks quickly until the LEDM1 (BMC) starts to blinks quickly and then if off. The BMC then goes in the heart beat mode that I find normal from manual, however the LE1 should stay lit.
I have access to BMC through IPMI interface, but the CPU and the RAM amount is not correct as I am using Epyc 7262 and 4x Samsung 3200 stick’s. I need to mention that I have re-seated the CPU several times.

Anyone ahs any idea what might be wrong?
Thank you for your support.
I have exactly same issue with my MB H12SSL-i and CPU 7302P

I've filmed the issue: document_5370761792244954825.mp4

I would like to enter BMC through IPMI interface but unfortunately I dont know how to do it (haven't got much experience with server stuff)

Could someone please help with that? Would be greatly appreciated!

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
I have exactly same issue with my MB H12SSL-i and CPU 7302P

I've filmed the issue: document_5370761792244954825.mp4

I would like to enter BMC through IPMI interface but unfortunately I dont know how to do it (haven't got much experience with server stuff)

Could someone please help with that? Would be greatly appreciated!
I had the exactly same issue. It turns out to be one of the 12V CPU power cable. The voltages are 12V according to multimeter but somehow the MB doesn't like it. It works once I replaced that cable.
The motherboard can start with only the 24pin plugged in. I think you can start from there.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The MB is broken if you confirm that your power supply is OK.LE1 LED should never blink, as you said it should stay lit.
after powering with standby power, LE1 is flashing to indicate the Firmware(BIOS) validation phase.
after that the LE1 is off in power off state and on if MB powered on.