Supermicro H12SSL boards listed on website

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Krusher

Jun 30, 2020
I started looking around for a new Supermicro motherboard that could be Zen3 compatible, found this one, and somehow ended up here. :)

From what I've seen, they are online as "special order" in the $400 range. Not sure how long that means however.

I'll wait a bit and see what happens with the AMD Mylan series; hopefully by September these boards will be more common and available.

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
Would love to hear if anyone has any updates on these. We've been waiting for these to become available since Aug 2019 when the H12 stuff was announced by SuperMicro. We've pretty much run out of time now - if they're not available by early Aug, we'll have to buy the old H11 boards, which really sucks due to lack of PCIe 4.0, reduced number of PCIe slots in general and having to play the board revision lottery for EPYC 7002 compatibility.

I think it stinks that they've sat on these boards for so long while happily selling the complete H12 servers for a whole year already, especially when Milan (EPYC Zen 3) will be releasing before the year is out.

( )

Jul 8, 2017
Wow, very cool to finally see these boards. I think a lot of us have been expecting these for awhile.

For those looking to use these as workstation boards, be careful with the Broadcom BCM57416 10GBE adapter - I picked up a HPE 535T dual 10GBe port adapter (which uses the same BCM57416 chipset as these new H12SSL boards) and was UNABLE to get it to work in Windows 10. ...
Good spot, there are limited drivers: P210P - 2 x 10GbE PCIe NIC VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search - Windows server or VMware is the closest you're going to get to running on Windows.

Maybe by the time Milan is on the shelves all the kinks will be worked out, those new MBs are listed as "coming soon"; but the Broadcom ASIC has been out for a while. It's more on them to ensure that their products are supported than further down the chain. It looks to be a great product, on OSes where it runs.

kStads

Aug 22, 2020
I ordered an h12ssl-ct through a local reseller a while back. got word this week they have my board and are testing it with my chip and ram and then they will send it on. hope to have it installed by end of next week, will for the basis for a new homelab.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
So they no longer have both SAS3 and NVME, only get one of them.
Yes they do have 2 M.2 but it's different.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
There was never a version with SAS3 + NVMe. There aren't enough PCIe lanes to go around for that. All 128 lanes are used with just having the NVMe option.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
There was never a version with SAS3 + NVMe. There aren't enough PCIe lanes to go around for that. All 128 lanes are used with just having the NVMe option.
H11SSL-NC has both sas3 and 2 nvme/sata mini-hd hybrid ports and 1 M.2. It only has 6 PCIE slots. No onboard 10G ports.
H12 has 7 pcie slots.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Yeah, that's the previous generation. All the H12 SKUs were mentioned in the first post, which is what I was referring to.

writerinserepeat

Jan 12, 2020
Here we are - closing in on September - and still no sign of an H12DSi-NT or equivalent dual socket stand alone motherboard line. Maybe it's too close to the (drop in compatible) Milan launch, and they're holding back some new dual offerings for that CPU line's launch.

It's troubling though, to see the single socket boards paper launched on their website for months, and still no sign of a dual socket motherboard only offering. :(

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Possibly dumb PCIe question: Can you simultaneously use PCIe 3.x and 4.x cards on a motherboard like this without the 4.x cards being held to 3.x speeds?

kStads

Aug 22, 2020
Welp, I got the board and it was DOA. No POST. Sent it back for RMA into a blackhole. No updates and no feedback or way to track the RMA process. They said they may have replacement boards available by today but I have only heard crickets so far. Not super happy with SuperMicro at the moment. Previously they said boards would not be available till October. Unfortunately for my I have a kid due in October so not likely to have time to play around and set this up. Such a bummer.

EDIT: The mystery deepens! The board was returned and inspected by the RMA department under a magnifying glass with no damage now the RMA department is telling me that the boards chipset was damaged. however the epyc is a SoC platform so no chipset exists in the traditional sense of north/southbridge so I still have no idea what was actually wrong with the board and my confidence in SM is rapidly declining.

EDIT2: They sent me a picture that is of a blown component that looks to be in the micro mm range and claim it's physical damage, i shared the pic with my reseller who noted blown components (r59, r60, L6) so it looks like the board is defective and SM is trying to pass the buck. Very very not happy about that. Buyer Beware on these boards! Given there is no other physical damage to the board surrounding the component a defect in voltage regulation seems the most likely case but I am very upset that they are not owning up to it!

final edit: I happened to have phots of the board showing the damaged component was intact before I dropped it off. so now I'm mad, they broke it and tried to blame it on me! I understand accidents happen but the pm who very responsive in terms saying I broke the board and sent photos is no longer available and of course only they can authorize giving me a new board. at this point I will only accept a new board I don't want a board they broke! posted a reddit/r/homelab thread with details and pictures proof. I was willing to chalk this up as a mistake but the fact they went silent after I proved it was their error makes me think they are being dishonest. now it's about the principle!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: james23

james23

Nov 18, 2014
wow, sorry man- that really is a ridiculous scenario / line of events, on a BRAND new product and release!. Supermicro really has some issues with their RMA and support process. (i guess this is why ppl end up paying the huge premium for dell/hpe stuff). I have had similar very poor experiences with supermicro support and RMA - it seems they are always looking for a way out of the rma, however in your case its outrageous.

unfortunately this is why i added the strike-through to supermicro in my signature over a year ago :(
sorry man, best of luck to you.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
So sorry to hear, hopefully someone at Supermicro reads this and makes it right. I'd try calling one of the other departments at Supermicro and try to speak with someone higher up and get this case escalated.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
indeed, get it escalated.

i had a technical question about h11-board (i had minor problem, it is now solved). it was somewhere in july this year and i still didn't get any respond to my question. it was for SM in Europe.

trying to say....really, get it escalated