SuperMicro H11SSL-i M.2 Bootable? (Solved)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PTDATA

Jul 6, 2022
I installed a PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD drive to my new SuperMicro H11SSL-i motherboard and booted up using a USB stick with Ubuntu 20.04. The install program found the drive and installed the OS to it with no errors and then I tried to reboot it. It isn't finding the drive to boot up. I've tried to change some BIOS settings to use the UEFI mode and EFI settings but isn't finding the drive within the BIOS. Is this one of those cases where the drive is storage only and can't be booted from or am I missing another setting in the BIOS?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Nope, it should boot m.2 NVMe just fine.

You could try switching m.2 firmware from AMI Native to Vendor Defined in bios (or vice versa, I forget which is default, and honestly don't even ask me to explain the setting). It's in PCIe section

A-W-A

May 14, 2022
Did you reinstall Ubuntu onto the NVMe after you changed the BIOS to UEFI mode ? I had a very similar issue and changing the BIOS to UEFI didn't work with the original installed O/S but reinstalling it after the change to UEFI mode worked fine.

Andrew

Reactions: PTDATA

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
there is a grub2 bootloader required for UEFI boot.
also in the BIOS is a setting PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration->NVME Firmware source:
set to "AMI Native support"

PTDATA

Jul 6, 2022
Did you reinstall Ubuntu onto the NVMe after you changed the BIOS to UEFI mode ? I had a very similar issue and changing the BIOS to UEFI didn't work with the original installed O/S but reinstalling it after the change to UEFI mode worked fine.

Andrew
I did not try to reinstall after changing the BIOS settings to AMI Native Support and UEFI settings. I reinstalled Ubuntu this morning and now it boots up correctly. Thank you everyone for pointing out the settings to change and the re-install issue.

Reactions: RolloZ170