Supermicro H11DSi only sees 768GB RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Which slots did and didn't get detected?
How about you use 4 dimms to test each row of 4 slots on its own?
If that still throws up issues, you are probably dealing with dead channels on the cpus, in that case, Switch around the cpus, repeat, and record.
If it's the cpus, the slots should switch sockets as well.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
If that still throws up issues, you are probably dealing with dead channels on the cpus, in that case, Switch around the cpus, repeat, and record.
it was the same four as in my previous screenshot when I tested with both CPUs: C, D, G, H detected, A, B, E, F not detected.
Earlier it was C, D and G though on both CPUs

I will test it now with 1 CPU and 8x 64GB Hynix ECC 2666.

Next I will try what you suggested.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
alright, it only detected the same four DIMMs with the 64GB Hynix sticks as with the 128GB Hynix sticks...
so now it's either the CPU or motherboard then...

To summarize:
Before I reseated the CPUs, the following 128GB DIMMs were detected out of 16:
P1-DIMMC1
P1-DIMMD1
P1-DIMMG1
P2-DIMMC1
P2-DIMMD1
P2-DIMMG1

After reseating, the following 128GB DIMMs were detected out of 16:
P1-DIMMC1
P1-DIMMD1
P1-DIMMG1
P1-DIMMH1
P2-DIMMG1
P2-DIMMH1

After removing the second CPU and trying 8x 128GB DIMMs, the following were detected out of 8:
P1-DIMMC1
P1-DIMMD1
P1-DIMMG1
P1-DIMMH1

And now when trying with 64GB DIMMs with single CPU, these are detected again:
P1-DIMMC1
P1-DIMMD1
P1-DIMMG1
P1-DIMMH1

10.png

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
I will now switch the two Epyc 7551 in this board and test. Maybe they are not seated well still? As after reseating the detected DIMMs changed from C, D, G to C, D, G, H in P1 and from C, D, G to just D, G in P2.
After that I think I should remove the same Epyc 7551 from one of my Asrock Rack ROME8D-2T and try it in the Supermicro H11DSi.
I also have a Supermicro H11SSL I can try, it also has the Epyc 7551.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
did you check your bios settings for core binding with some memory slots ?

try to set all settings in bios on DEFAULT...
I did not, I do not even see this option in the bios to be honest.
Ok I will try a BIOS reset as well.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
I switched CPUs.
Put P2 into the P1 socket and tested in single CPU mode with 8x 64GB Hynx modules
Still C, D, G, H detected.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
I pulled an Epyc 7551 (same CPU) from the Asrock Rack board and tested in single CPU mode with 8x 64GB Hynx modules
STILL THE SAME, C, D, G, H detected.
Previously this CPU detected 8x 128GB Hynix without issues in the Asrock board

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
That would suggests that the DSI is killing mem channels, specifically those that you have singled out as not detected.

How is it looking Warranty whise?

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
That would suggests that the DSI is killing mem channels, specifically those that you have singled out as not detected.

How is it looking Warranty whise?
what does killing mem channels mean?
It is only 2 months old, I still have almost 3 years warranty.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
if you have tried with another 7551 and still have same problems with the memory sticks....rma the board...or try another sticks you have with that 7551 from asrock
I tried with 128GB modules I have in Asrock ROME8D-2T. It is a single socket board and I have 8x 128GB in that. The EPYC 7551 detects them in that board without issue (1TB total). When I put the same EPYC 7551 and the same 8x 128GB sticks in the H11DSi it only detected 4. It does the same with 8x 64GB sticks, only detects the same 4.

One could say 128GB is not validated, however my 64GB Hynix sticks that I tried are validated for this board. I have the Hynix 64GB ECC 2666 LRDIMM HMAA8GL7AMR4N-VK modules and when checked validated parts it is there for this board:

101.png

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I pulled an Epyc 7551 (same CPU) from the Asrock Rack board and tested in single CPU mode with 8x 64GB Hynx modules
STILL THE SAME, C, D, G, H detected.
Sorry, misunderstood that as:
The 7551 being back in the ASrack now also having problems with memory.

It seems as if the H11DSi is faulty.

Can you please swap one of the cpus that you had issues with on the DSi, back to the ASRack and make sure that everything is still ok on that board.

Psynapsx

Feb 21, 2021
Sorry, misunderstood that as:
The 7551 being back in the ASrack now also having problems with memory.

It seems as if the H11DSi is faulty.

Can you please swap one of the cpus that you had issues with on the DSi, back to the ASRack and make sure that everything is still ok on that board.
alright, I tested it in the Asrock and a H11SSL as well. Both work fine with the CPUs I pulled from the H11DSi, however initially the H11SSL did not detect 1TB ram as well but it worked fine with 8x 64GB sticks.
I pulled the EPYC 7551 from the Asrock board and the EPYC 7551 from the H11SSL and put them in the H11DSi.
Result is that C, D, G, H slots are detected for both CPU so it detects 8 sticks out of 16.

Last edited: