Supermicro H11DSI-NT Blinking Red LED and CPU Cooler Fan Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Root.ed

Feb 6, 2020
Hello STH!

I am having an issue that is driving me crazy and I'm not quite an expert so I'm doing my best here to get things going as I am so close to getting this thing to work.

I am able to start up the machine and enter BIOS just fine. As soon as I change the priority to boot into UEFI USB stick with Windows 10 Pro on it, this red blinking light starts happening and I can see the CPU cooler fan starting to lose power and then gain some power again (you can tell in the varying speeds of the fan). Here is what I have so far parts-wise:

1 AMD EPYC 7501
1 2060 RTX 6GB
4x 8GB sticks of memory (in the slots that are listed on the manual for 1 CPU)
1x SSD
1x Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM (with the two 8 pin cpu power connected to PSU and the motherboard 24 pin connected, along with power for the SSD and power for the GPU).
1x Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (plan to use 2 with the 2nd CPU... but struggling with just this 1).
-

NOTE: Not using a Supermicro chassis or anything like that... just trying to make a nice small homelab.

Screenshots/Images:
Screenshot - 4508565ce58c6629f679c323f84295af - Gyazo

The CPU cooler fan also seems to be slowing down and picking up speed as seen here: Gofile - File sharing platform, anonymous and free
Here is a video of the LED lights with the red blinking: Gofile - File sharing platform, anonymous and free

It continuously blinks red like this off and on. Seems to do it every second for a few times... then stops... and then continues to blink again a few times every second and then stops... repeats.

I am able to get into BIOS just fine and as soon as I change boot priority to USB Windows 10 Pro and then it starts showing me these blinking red LEDs.... I have tried to do the following:
  1. Double checking the 4 slots of ram I am using, seem to be seated properly.

2. Tried multiple fan headers including Header 1, Header 5, Header 6, etc...

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
What is probably happening: the Supermicro board detects your Noctua fans as spinning too slowly. It then panics and ramps up all fans to full speed, and uses the red LED as an indicator that something is wrong. Since all fans are spinning above the threshold now, it tries to ramp them down to normal again, repeating the cycle.

What you need to do is decrease the fan thresholds: Decrease Supermicro IPMI Fan Threshold

Reactions: ErikAnd

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i also have h11dsi with dual 7551 and 120mm noctua cpu coolers, and i also have the same red LED. i just ignore it, because my cpu temps are not out of range, cpu temps are not so high under full load (about 62-65°C). see the screenshot, rigth now around 60°C in a very hot room (room temp is around 29°C)

i dont have problems with fan speeds, spinup or spindown. and i dont use sata ssd, usb stick or uefi. in bios i all have set te legacy oprom.

Attachments