Supermicro H11DSi-NT and AMD EPYC 7302 don't see 1 memory stick Micron 32 GB in Slot A1 for CPU1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aeugene1977

Jan 13, 2023
Hello everyone. I ran into a problem: the BIOS and Windows 11 Pro do not see one memory stick, but in the HWiNFO64 program it is determined, the manufacturer and model are specified, but the memory itself is not used.

System: Supermicro H11DSi-NT dual-processor motherboard, two AMD EPYC 7302 16-core processors, memory of 8 Micron dies (32 GB each). So, I don't see a stick for processor No. 1 in slot A1. I tried to move it to other slots - it works there. I also tried swapping processors - it doesn't help. So it's either a memory slot or a socket for the processor. The memory slot was blown with compressed air - it didn't help. Visually examined the socket - I did not find bent pins. The processor itself in the socket tightened according to the instructions. The contacts on the processor were wiped with alcohol. I downloaded the pinout of the socket, found the contacts for this memory slot, but there are a lot of them, which one is responsible for the detection - I did not understand. It is unpleasant that the memory is not determined in the A1 slot, it seems to be the main one, it is recommended to install memory in it first of all.

I bought a tester, checked the memory slot - one diode DQ1 in the upper right corner of the tester is not lit, this is contact number 150 in the memory slot. In the other slot, the diode is lit. The contact looks normal.

With the help of a multimeter, a contact in the memory slot and pins in the processor socket rang - there is no sound. Neighboring pins in the memory slot (149 and 151) ring in the socket, this is probably the ground.

I attach a photos.

What do you recommend to do, what could be the reason?

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

nico_g

Apr 11, 2020
Hello : RMA : Return Merchandise Authorization. You should send back your motherboard to Supermicro repair service.

aeugene1977

Jan 13, 2023
Hello : RMA : Return Merchandise Authorization. You should send back your motherboard to Supermicro repair service.
I doubt it's possible. I bought a motherboard on Aliexpress. In addition, I wanted to figure out and understand the cause of the failure myself, and possibly fix it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I doubt it's possible. I bought a motherboard on Aliexpress. In addition, I wanted to figure out and understand the cause of the failure myself, and possibly fix it.
have you asked the seller ?
you can return it using Aliexpress to the seller, even chinese sellers give warranty,
if not (and please report the seller here so no other one makes this fault to buy from him)
you can try a service "replace socket" or "replace DIMM slot"
its about 100..200usd

aeugene1977

Jan 13, 2023
have you asked the seller ?
you can return it using Aliexpress to the seller, even chinese sellers give warranty,
if not (and please report the seller here so no other one makes this fault to buy from him)
you can try a service "replace socket" or "replace DIMM slot"
its about 100..200usd
Yes, I wrote to him, he agreed to a refund, but these are expenses and time, and I chose another option - a small discount on the next order, and kept the motherboard for myself in the hope of finding out the reason. Is it possible that there is no contact with some pin in the processor slot? I do not have a proprietary AMD screwdriver, and I twisted it with a regular screwdriver, maybe I loosely tighten the screws, did not finish twisting half a millimeter?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is it possible that there is no contact with some pin in the processor slot?
With the help of a multimeter, a contact in the memory slot and pins in the processor socket rang - there is no sound. Neighboring pins in the memory slot (149 and 151) ring in the socket
you measured it and found no contact right ?
check the SP3 pinout to find the exact pin, maybe its missing, not bent (bent will be clear visible)

aeugene1977

Jan 13, 2023
you measured it and found no contact right ?
check the SP3 pinout to find the exact pin, maybe its missing, not bent (bent will be clear visible)
To be honest, I didn't notice that there is no pin, they all look the same and in place. But there are a lot of them there, and I don't have a microscope, so it's very difficult to see everything well there. I clamped the desired contact in the memory slot and drove the multimeter probe through all the contacts in the area of the processor socket that is responsible for this slot (I looked it up in the processor pinout) - there was no sound. Maybe there is some kind of pin tester for the CPU socket? Or a land tester on the processor itself?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
there was no sound. Maybe there is some kind of pin tester in the CPU socket? Or a land tester on the processor itself?
there is no route, no contact. can be the PCB or the socket contact you can not see unless you(or better something else) desolder the SP3 socket.

aeugene1977

Jan 13, 2023
there is no route, no contact. can be the PCB or the socket contact you can not see unless you(or better something else) desolder the SP3 socket.
I found socket testers 2011, AM3, AM4 and others on Aliexpress. I haven't found SP3 yet, but they probably exist. I'm not ready to solder a socket or a memory slot yet, I have no experience, and I don't want to give money for it yet (especially since they can ruin something else). And the slot tester would help me find out exactly which pin is dead in the socket.

aeugene1977

Jan 13, 2023
missing pin ? no clear enough
View attachment 26906
Yes, it really looks like a missing pin! Good eyesight) I'll have to sort it out again and look closer. But I thought that this pin should be looked for in the other side (highlighted earlier in red).
It is also inconvenient that the pins on the pinout and in the photo are located a little differently, in the photo they are rotated by about 45 degrees. It's easy to get confused.

Last edited: