supermicro H11DSi-NT 10G temperature

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I have a sm h11dsi-nt dual epyc mb that has 2 onboard 10GbaseT ports. The heatsink for these ports gets very hot. unfortunately the placement of the heatsink makes it very difficult to place any fans. I wound up placing a small fan directly on top of the heatsink but that blocks a couple of the pci slots. this dual epyc mb has fewer pci slots than the single epyc mb so I don't really want to lose any pci slots. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to reduce the temps of the 10G chips on the mb without blocking the pci slots?

upload_2019-1-11_6-26-44.png

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
what kind of case is the MB in? Can you put some high pressure fans in front and behind the MB to move the air across the board?

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
what kind of case is the MB in? Can you put some high pressure fans in front and behind the MB to move the air across the board?
thermaltake level20xt (a beast!) Due to the large size of this case, the 2 front mounted 200mm fans are not effective at cooling this heatsink. It was much more effective to just place a small (noiseblocker 40x10mm) fan directly on top. unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way to place larger fans on the back of the case that would help cool the heatsink. It seems to be an odd placement for that chipset. even if I put this mb in a server case (with a lot of high speed fans, the chipset still gets very hot (over 70C) without the 10G ports even being used. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the mb or maybe just a design flaw.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i would see if you can find out the temp range of the chipset from the manual. It might be ok?
As for Fans I think you have 3 options. (sorry for crude pic)
Untitled.jpg

Rig a stand size fan at the end of the PCIE slots or in front of Sata ports by attaching it to MB tray somehow (possibly double sided tape). Or get a 40mm fan on top of chipset and lose a pci slot. You maybe able to move the slot using pcie extension cable.?