Supermicro H11 Series Motherboard Series NVMe Functionality

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

drdepasquale

Dec 1, 2022
Does anybody here have any experience working with NVMe devices on Supermicro H11 Series of motherboards? After reading the manual I still have some questions about the support of NVMe storage devices. The particular board I have questions about is the H11DSi-NT.

Does the m.2 slot support booting drives in legacy mode? The m.2 slot is where I intend to have the operating system installed and booted from. The motherboard BIOS also provides options for using the AMI NVMe firmware or the Vendor Defined Firmware. Does the AMI NVMe firmware have legacy functionality for NVMe or are only SATA drives bootable in legacy mode? I would also like to know if the OCulink NVMe ports are usable as second storage drives when the operating system is booted in legacy mode. The OCulink drives do not have to be bootable for my use case.

Pages 71 and 72 of the manual show that there are Legacy and EFI OPROM options for the m.2 slot
Manual Link: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/EPYC7000/MNL-2027.pdf

Any information about others experiences and features of these motherboards would be greatly appreciated.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Most of your questions go way over my head, so sorry for not being concise.
I am using a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD on this board. That's where the OS is installed. Never had any problems with that.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you can Boot from a SATA and place the OS on a NVME drive, only the Bootloader has to be on a drive with BIOS support.
I would also like to know if the OCulink NVMe ports are usable as second storage drives when the operating system is booted in legacy mode
if the OS supports NVME drivers yes.

Reactions: drdepasquale

drdepasquale

Dec 1, 2022
knowed well this question must come... LOL
software/OS without EFI support ?
What are you trying to do that you need "legacy mode"?
It's more about hardware compatibility with very old PCI Express cards. The operating system I intend to use is fully UEFI compatible. Some of my old PCIe cards do not work properly under UEFI. I have experienced many issues with these older cards on a Supermicro X10 board. Once I enabled CSM and used legacy OptionROMs everything worked properly.

drdepasquale

Dec 1, 2022
I eventually decided on purchasing the newer Supermicro H12DSi-NT6 motherboard. The BIOS and the AMI Firmware do in fact have the handler to boot NVMe drives in legacy mode, whether it be the m.2 slot or occulink headers. Case closed!