SuperMicro fans won't stop revving

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
I installed some Noctua fans on my X9 board a few months ago. Fans revved up and down, but I set the ipmi thresholds and everything was good. Had to shut the server down last night due to extended power outage. When I turned it on this morning, the fans started revving up and down again. I checked, and my threshold sensor settings are still there. I tried changing them again, but no matter what I do, the fans still keep spinning up and down. Any ideas?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The problem is your Noctua's are hitting the low critical threshholds which forces the server to rev the fan up temporarily. This will happen over and over until you lower the low critcal threshhold. I had this problem on all my SM servers when I put Noctua's in. Let me see if I can dig up the thread on this.

EDIT: I remember using this link. But I had to change "lan" to "lanplus" and I had to add -P PASSWORD to the command.

Last edited:

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
That's the thing, I lowered all the thresholds when I put the fans in months ago and it worked fine. Now the thresholds are still lowered but the fans are revving.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
That's the thing, I lowered all the thresholds when I put the fans in months ago and it worked fine. Now the thresholds are still lowered but the fans are revving.
Have you confirmed what your thresholds are set at? What RPM are the fans getting to that they start revving up?

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
The fans are definitely spinning. I will try reflashing IPMI first. Then BIOS. If that doesn't work, I will just buy a PWM controller.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Same thing happened to me when I put some Noctua's in my A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F. Seems to be a common problem with Noctua fans and IPMI that they try and rev down to such a low level that the IPMI considers them to be not running at all, and then spins up all fans to full speed.

There were times when the IPMI was stable and ran the fans at the ~1000rpm I wanted, other times it would rev them every five seconds or so.

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
I would feel better had it never worked in the first place. It worked fine for several months. I just ordered two noctua hsf to replace the dynatron jet engines.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'd see if you can verify your fans are sending out a proper signal for the PWM RPM. Could be as simple as put them in another chassis and see if they still report 0RPM.

If the fans are fine, try doing an ipmi reset with IPMICFG tool. i've run into a few weird cases where i had to run IPMICFG -fde (not just -fd). You'll have to configure the IPMI again of course. you could also try doing a CMOS clear procedure by shorting the pads on the motherboard; again, you'd need to configure your BIOS setup again. Doing these things have helped me resolve BMC related issues in the past so maybe it might help you too.

Reactions: DaveInTexas and pmo

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
I'd see if you can verify your fans are sending out a proper signal for the PWM RPM. Could be as simple as put them in another chassis and see if they still report 0RPM.

If the fans are fine, try doing an ipmi reset with IPMICFG tool. i've run into a few weird cases where i had to run IPMICFG -fde (not just -fd). You'll have to configure the IPMI again of course. you could also try doing a CMOS clear procedure by shorting the pads on the motherboard; again, you'd need to configure your BIOS setup again. Doing these things have helped me resolve BMC related issues in the past so maybe it might help you too.
Wow! I just ran ipmicfg -fde and it worked! Thanks! Funny as I have done multiple factory resets through the IPMI web page.

Reactions: BLinux

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Wow! I just ran ipmicfg -fde and it worked! Thanks! Funny as I have done multiple factory resets through the IPMI web page.
yay!! glad that helped... i've had to do that -fde more time than I'd like to admit. i'm not sure why, but i find the IPMI on Supermicro systems get in a funky state some times, like i'm not able to update the IP settings, or the fan controls go bonkers, or random DIMM slot errors, etc. the -fde seems to clear up the issues for me.

adgilcan

Jan 6, 2020
I have this exact same problem and I contacted SM support (Europe).

This is what they said:

Hello,
This is to be expected in your configuration. Our mainboards are part of our buildingblock solutions. this means we have a list of supermicro chassis, that are validated for this mainboard (see list on the productpage). When using a 3th party chassis, then we see this issue often. because this is a serverboard, our chassis have fans that have a minimum RPM above 600rpm, and this is required. Our boards also have a lower tresshold, of 600 rpm. below this, the fan will be flagged as "failed". When a fan fails, all other fans will revv up to compensate. In your 3th party chassis, this means the "failed fan" will now be above the 600rpm tresshold again, and the fans will return to the set speed. this causes the fan to fall below the 600rpm again, and all fans will revv up again, and so on and so on..

The tresshold is hardcoded, and cannot be changed. Also a ipmi reset will not solve this. Only way to solve this is to use validated fans as in the validated chassis.

So, I'm guessing I'm SOL!

Cheers

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
I have this exact same problem and I contacted SM support (Europe).

This is what they said:

Hello,
This is to be expected in your configuration. Our mainboards are part of our buildingblock solutions. this means we have a list of supermicro chassis, that are validated for this mainboard (see list on the productpage). When using a 3th party chassis, then we see this issue often. because this is a serverboard, our chassis have fans that have a minimum RPM above 600rpm, and this is required. Our boards also have a lower tresshold, of 600 rpm. below this, the fan will be flagged as "failed". When a fan fails, all other fans will revv up to compensate. In your 3th party chassis, this means the "failed fan" will now be above the 600rpm tresshold again, and the fans will return to the set speed. this causes the fan to fall below the 600rpm again, and all fans will revv up again, and so on and so on..

The tresshold is hardcoded, and cannot be changed. Also a ipmi reset will not solve this. Only way to solve this is to use validated fans as in the validated chassis.

So, I'm guessing I'm SOL!

Cheers

You can definitely lower the fan thresholds.