Supermicro E300-9D-4CN8TP Review A 4x 10GbE and 4x 1GbE Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Thank You for your solid review of my dream motherboard. Yes, I am one of those Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F fanboys!. ...Unfortunately, your review is only going to make these motherboards more popular, and harder for me to pick up second hand;) Best Regards, ABQ

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
This board is a weird in between; on one hand it has massive networking capabilities making it a natural network device, on the other hand it has lots of expansion options too, a x16 and a x8 slot and (not mentioned in the review), the 8643 ports actually can handle NVMe drives (as can be seen on the block diagram) [at the cost of sata ports].

Together with a NAS chassis this sounds like small office NAS dream come true - direct connect all clients/server, dump some nvme for cache/slog, a HBA for lots of drives and maybe a GPU for encoding.
Couple this with as much memory as you want (btw I successfully tested 128G Rdimms on it too) and off you go.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Regarding the noise of this device, Supermicro also makes a fanless version (E302-9D).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The fanless board does get quite hot, I wouldnt recommend it without some kind of active cooling. Would be interesting if the E302 is effectively cooling everything (cpu & 10G nics)

Cixelyn

Researcher
Nov 7, 2018
San Francisco
Yeah I think these boards need a fair bit of cooling, even moreso than the normal servesr.

We had a E300-9D-4C8TP that slowly died on us (likely due to heat death). One of the 10Gbase-T NICs failed first after about a year. And then a few months later the entire motherboard died.

Ended up replacing it for a 1019D-4C-FHN13TP, which has the same D-2123IT, but has higher 5°C more operating headroom with more fans and better internal airflow.