SuperMicro Differences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
So I'm trying to figure out the differences and compare some SM boards, but I don't see the option on the SM site.

I'm looking for a dual Xeon 2011 card, to put into a 743.

So anyone got a quick rundown on the following:

X9DR7-LN4F vs X9DRI-F

Besides the LSI, is there any difference? Is it usually only minor differences as in PCI 2/3 available etc.?

There are 8 hotswaps in front, afaik the chassis already got a backplane attached.

Say I went DRI-F, what controller could be recommended?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The "Great Deals" forum has a deal for 12Gb/s IBM/LSI HBA -- really good.

Reactions: thorin

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
So there isn't an answer as to say:

X[number]DRI-xx -- series got XYZ
X[number]DR7-xx -- series got XY, not Z

It would be nice to know somewhat differences on series as it would make it a whole lot easier to read through listings and matching it up to eachother.

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
via SuperMicro motherboard buyer's guide for Xeon E5-2670 CPUs • /r/homelab

The first part of the model number must start with X9. This is the CPU generation. E5-2600v1/v2 CPUs fall under this generation.

The next letter will be either S or D for Single-CPU or Dual-CPU. I'm assuming in /r/homelab we all want the D ;)

The next letter must be an A or R. R means socket R, which is the same as LGA2011. A means workstation which as far as I can tell just means it includes onboard audio and video. You'll probably want to focus on the Rs for a server build.

That's it as far as requirements. A SuperMicro motherboard starting with X9DR supports dual E5-2600v1/v2 CPUs. The rest of the letters indicate features. Some notables letters, starting at the end of X9DR...

• L = "Low cost" models that skimp on features. This isn't going to do you much good on used boards from what I've dug up. Worth looking at but don't go seeking them out hoping for a much better deal.
  • i or E = SATA controller only.
  • 3 = SAS + SATA. Usually 8x SAS via 2x 8087 from what I've seen.
  • 6 or 7= SAS2 and SAS2 6GB/s respectively.
  • F = IPMI support. A must-have for me.
  • LN4 = 4x ethernet ports. Make special note of this one because L and N can be used individually as well.
  • + = Extra RAM support. In the case of the X9DR3, that's 24 sticks.
  • -O and -B suffixes just mean retail or bulk.
The hyphen placement seems arbitrary from model to model. Most have the i/E/3/7 before the hyphen. L's have them after.

Those are the most important. Some models are more prevalent than others. X9DR3-LN4F+ is the common one which has 8 SAS, 6 SATA, 24 DIMM slots for a maximum of 1.5TB of RAM, 4x ethernet ports, and IPMI. The X9DR3-Fis the same thing with 16 DIMM slots and half the ethernet ports. If you punch X9DR into Ebay and sort by motherboards you'll get the results you're looking for. Add 3, 7, i, or E to start narrowing your search based on the type of storage controller you want.

Hopefully this will help someone who was in the same spot as me, confused as hell about LGA2011.
Does this help?

So according to that guide:

X9DR7-LN4F :
X9 - Generation
D - Dual CPU
R - Socket R
7 - Sas2 6gb/s
LN4 - 4 ethernet
F - IPMI

vs

X9DRI-F
X9 - Generation
D - Dual CPU
R - Socket R
I - Sata
F - IPMI

Last edited:
Reactions: thorin and Patrick

thorin

Aug 30, 2016
WOW, greatness :)

Thanks lads, I might have to get some goggles @Blinky, I didn't see that :)