Supermicro CSE113-M / Front-panel Power Adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
While I'm using Asus Z10PA-D8 motherboards in Supermicro chassis with all of my servers at home, I always have to use a Supermicro 16pin front-panel power adapter. But these Supermicro CSE113-M 1U units, as well as the 813/815 units, have a fron panel connector with 24pins. I have to use the onboard DC-switch of the Asus motherboard.

DC_Switch1_rescaled.png

Unfortunately, this can be a hustle sometimes. Therefore I would like to get the front-panel power button/cable converted to the regular pattern of the Asus motherboard. But as mentioned before, this is 16pin (1) vs 24pin (2) in the picture below. I'm not an expert in finding out which connectors/pins are mandatory and which are not.

Power_Adapter1_resized.png

Was someone successful in doing this conversion in the past? I can not find anything about it in the wide internet.

Any help is appreciated. Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
You're gonna have to get a bit creative.

The pinouts between the 24 pin vs 16 pin on the Supermicro side, is exactly the same for the 16 pins. The other 8 pins add more LED/button connections, but you most likely don't need them.

So, your problem is mating that 24 pin connector to the 16 pin adapter, which is not going to work without mangling the adapter (which is certainly an option). The other option...

Get a few of these - Extra-long break-away 0.1" 16-pin strip male header (5 pieces)

These are "extra long" 2.54mm male to male connectors in a strip. Break them off into two strips of twelve each. Plug them into the Supermicro front panel female connector. Pull out the female connector from that break away cable and now...plug it into the strips, but only for the 16 pins, the others will remain unused.

If you want to not have pins poking out of your "DIY" adapter, don't use two strips of twelve, just use eight, but make sure you put them in the right positions.

tada!

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Ok, first of all thank you. This looks like a good idea. I was just not aware that I can just plug & connect these to each other 'without' making some damage (electric-wise).

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
So after the pins arrived I tried everything. It doesn't work. No matter which pins I connect, the board doesnt turn on with the On/OFF-switch from the case. With a Supermciro board it does. It seems it needs all pins fully connected to the board. This is my first time having a hard time with SM cases :rolleyes: :(

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Can you start the mb manually by using screwdriver or some other way to create contact on the power pins? This is how I usually test the pin outs on the MB connector

kapone

May 23, 2015
Some boards are more sensitive to the GND connections (even with the PWR and RST button connections). Try reversing those pins.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

It should not be a problem starting a Z10PA-D8 motherboard in a Supermicro chassis.

Here is a Z10PA-D8 in a Supermicro CSE 743.

IMG_2563 C.JPG
As you can see not all the pins are connected.

The Z10PA-D8 Front panel connectors have more features than those on the Supermicro motherboards.
Z10PA-D8 Main.JPGZ10PA-D8 Aux.JPG

You will need to map over the relevant connectors to those expected by the Supermicro chassis connector.
Supermicro 16 Pin.JPG

3.3V on Supermicro is the equilivant of (+) on the Asus board.

Please check that your Supermicro front panel connector is working by checking the continunity on Pins 1&2 with a multimeter.

If there is continuity when the power button is pressed, it should enable the motherboard to operate sucessfully

Not all the features can be mapped to the Supermicro chassis indicators. I used this method and even enabled the NIC indicators on the Supermicro Front Panel.

IMG_2573 C.JPG

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

RedX1

Attachments

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Yes, thank you. I have/had never issues connecting the Supermicro 16pin front-panel connectors to the adapters for any other boards. I'm full of Asus Z10Pa-D8 boards sitting in Supermicro cases. But, the 1U cases, like 813 or 113 seem to have 20pin connectors. I just went into the company to get a 813 case to my home. Same issue. I can't get a front-panel connector with 20pin from an 113 or 813 working with an 16pin connector.

Either I have to single-pin out every pin of the 20 and find the equivalent pin on the 16 pin or just exchange 835, 836, 213,216 front-panel connectors with the ones from the 113 and 813.

Thanks guys. Your comments are much appreciated.