supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 IPMI - how to find out what the default password is?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
So i just got my new SC846 chassis which im using as a jbod/das. I attempted to change my default password and use one generated by 1Password. It did not go well. either the IPMI didnt like the elaborate use of random symbols etc, or 1Password gaffed it up but I can no longer get in.

I downloaded IPMICFG and I keep getting can not find a valid ipmi device. I opened ipmiview and scanned and it sees it though.

i tried -m and I still get can not find a valid IPMI device.

Any ideas? (yes i'm using an admin cmd prompt)

also forgot to put in the title, i'm on win10. I also assigned it a static IP in my gateway if relevant.

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
well, i reset the board via holding the button on the front of the chassis. that resulted in what I assume a return to defaults as it put the IP address back to its default, not the one I assigned to it.

that being said, ADMIN/ADMIN still does not get me in, nor does ADMIN and the code on the sticker labeled IPMI: stringofnumbersandletters which is on the board itself.

im literally stuck.

klepp0906

Feb 10, 2022
So i found out what happened. What a trip. There's an arbitrary character limit. 19. it truncated the rest of my randomly generated password. I was able to trim characters back until it let me in.

This begs the question, why did holding down the reset button on the ear not default the IPMI? Well it did, but only partially. it returned my IP to default instead of what i'd given it.

Also begs the question, how can i know what the factory default password is? I dont want to yolo it and just restore it to factory defaults from within the IPMI web interface because if it isnt ADMIN and its some kind of wonky password I dont have access too, I'll then be for sure screwed.

It appears this forced change from admin/admin was in 2019 and these boards stopped being produced long before that right? So it should be a guarantee mine is in fact ADMIN?

globstarr

Feb 19, 2022
So i found out what happened. What a trip. There's an arbitrary character limit. 19. it truncated the rest of my randomly generated password. I was able to trim characters back until it let me in.

This begs the question, why did holding down the reset button on the ear not default the IPMI? Well it did, but only partially. it returned my IP to default instead of what i'd given it.

Also begs the question, how can i know what the factory default password is? I dont want to yolo it and just restore it to factory defaults from within the IPMI web interface because if it isnt ADMIN and its some kind of wonky password I dont have access too, I'll then be for sure screwed.

It appears this forced change from admin/admin was in 2019 and these boards stopped being produced long before that right? So it should be a guarantee mine is in fact ADMIN?

I also had the same issue with using a password manager, and concluded it must have been an unstated length limit

My solution was to reboot from a usb disk, bring over the IPMICFG util form supermicro, and use the `-fd 3` option to set the password to ADMIN. I think that avoids option 2, which resets the default password. I only tried option 3.

Reactions: Bert