Supermicro CSE-M35TQ 5x 3.5" Hot-swap w/cable USED - $60

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
I've been looking for one, and cheapest I could find was 89$ via jet.com and first order coupon. I don't mind if its used if it works. miniSAS cable is a plus. I wasn't looking for trayless design. At the moment I prefer trays, but then again I don't work in datacenter. This is for my home use.

Supermicro 5-Bay SAS-M35TQ 5x 3.5" Hot-swap SAS SATA Drive Tray + Cables (1A)

My first deal post. Let me know if missed something.

Reactions: helsyeah and Fritz

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Nice. I don't see the cable for the 5th drive though. Guess you will have to run a sata cable for it.

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
Sweet, been looking for a couple 5.25 enclosures for my AIO.

Got 2 for $45 each on BO. Seller wouldn't take less, but still far better than retail.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
A quick followup on this now-finished deal.

I bought one at full asking price. It looked like it was worth 50 to me so I did not haggle.

It came today in a USPS flat rate box wrapped in plenty of bubble wrap. Three of the five bays still had the drive spacer installed.

I plugged it in to a LSI SAS1068E with a SFF-8088 -> 4 x sata cable I had enabling 4 of the 5 bays and a power supply cable sticking out of the case. Everything works great. Well built, rugged, real purdy.

My only gripe is that it uses a different drive tray than the SuperMicro rack mount servers. I was thinking of using one of these as a staging device for rack servers. The good news is the trays included in this are a lot more rugged than the ones that go in the rack server. But, you do need to move the drives from one tray to another to move from this enclosure to a rack bay.

The fan came wrapped separate from the cage and it is needed. I put four older 7200 rpm drives in the cage and drive temperatures hit 50c during a raid build. Digging the fan out of the packing material and attaching dropped the temperatures to the high 30's. The temperatures dropped into the 20's when idle. The fan is NOT silent but not obnoxiously loud either. The enclosure has a 3 pin header and the cage came with a 4 pin fan. I suspect it can be quieted down with a bit of work.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I wanna see one of these w/ a std 12v pwr supply instead of molex for truly portable mini nas (well not NAS since no OS but let's call it a frankenzombie-JBOD/VERY useful for datacenter/co-lo pool migrations when you do not wanna send hundred of TB over wire/WAN (unless you have a 10G conn via internet). Also minisas 8087 on back of unit highly desired as well. Someone show me the $$$

All that is needed at each site is a a NAS 'headend node' w/ a 8088 conn off a $40 LSI 9201-8e HBA. :-D zfs send/recv...rinse/repeat.

Reactions: wsuff

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
I'd like to add some notes on my portion of the deal.

On Monday I contacted the seller as I had not received shipping info for the two units I purchased. The seller responded letting me know one of the two units was missing the cooling fan/mounting bracket. After some back-and forth on a partial refund for the missing fan only, the seller decided to ship just the one complete unit and issue a full refund for the unit with the missing fan.

Other than having the contact the seller about the delay, the communication has been fairly good. I have tracking info for the one complete enclosure, and expect to see the refund soon on the missing second one. (I will update after that all plays out).

Now, unfortunately, I need to track down a second enclosure as I do need two of them...