EU Supermicro CSE-M14T-B Mobile Rack 4x 2.5' Hot-swap SAS / SATA 5.25" bay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
Supermicro Hot-swap chassis for 4x 2.5". I replaced my IcyDock's with one of these. IMHO geat quality! Comes as new in unopend boxed including cable (SFF-8484 Fan Out), screws and manual.

£24,99 ... more than 10 available as of time of posting.

Supermicro CSE-M14T-B Mobile Rack 4x 2.5' Hot-swap SAS / SATA 5.25" bay Black | eBay

I removed the backplane fan and disabled the buzzer. You should also consider to remove the cover of the backplane as mentioned in the manual. With the cover it's difficult to set jumpers, plug in cables etc. if it is already in the chassis.

Reactions: spazoid

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hi,
i consider one of these for my current workstation build.
Is there sort of a limit on drive-size or SATA / SAS - Speed's with the backplane or is it 'TQ" ?
How about noise from the fan ?

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Thanks,
guess it runs 6G then.

Will remove the fan and maybe also the cover then.
It's just for two boot ssd`s so no need for a fan anyway.

hydra1981

Jul 19, 2015
Hi, apologies for resurrecting this thread but I just bought two of these mobile racks and as one would expect I have a couple of questions. I've fitted only one of them so far in a Supermicro SC731 case. The fan out cable is connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard which happens to be a Supermicro X9SCL-F. The manual is horrible and it is not cool they got the SATA layout and the cabling enumeration wrong. In a sense I was expecting nothing less than seamless integration but so far I am a bit disappointed.

1. I can't seem to be able to figure out how to screw the enclosure to the SC731 chassis. I can live with this if needed be but I am a bit confused, I would assume these things have been standardized decades ago. The box had a couple of screws as well as another bizarre one, like a small wheel, but I don't know what to do with them. Even if I just about manage to screw them in some holes at the upper front of the enclosure, they pop out easily with some pressure.

2. The deal-breaker (almost) and the most important bit. I get no activity LEDs for disks other than disk 0. I can see there is some HDD activity LED pins in the back plane but I don't know what to do with them, the motherboard does not have any corresponding pins. I also happen to have a Dell PERC H200 controller that drives some 3.5 disks, the controller does not have any pins either. It seems that no hardware I've come across has any such pins. Do you reckon the lack of activity LEDs is down to the disks themselves or the enclosure and the wiring to the rest of the system?

3. What does jumper J18 do? Is it the buzzer reset? What does buzzer reset mean? If the buzzer goes off due to temperature or disk failure is this used to reset it to quiet? That would be outrageous. Do they mean "NO BUZZER"? The fan is ludicrously noisy but I put in series a low noise cable I had lying around from a Noctua fan, effectively a resistor, which quietened the fan dramatically. The enclosure however detected this as fan failure. Anything that could be done other than disabling the fan altogether?

Thanks!!

Reactions: RedX1