Supermicro CSE-933T-R760B with decent international shipping.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I recently started looking for chassis on ebay and there have been a few but I am getting quoted around $300 shipping to Singapore which knocks them out of budget.

Not needing a 4U with 24 drives I have been looking at the 3U units (15 -> 16 drives) with sata connected backplanes (Supermicro TQ chassis models without expanders) and there have been a few.

I have just picked up a CSE-933T-R760B from here. They accepted a $25 discount and the shipping to Singapore was only around $124. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.

RB

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I was looking into those before, they are EOL (end of life) - finding components for it may be problematic. Otherwise not a bad case if it suites your needs.

Reactions: T_Minus

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Great deals not perfect chassis. The core point is the cheap international shipping and an OK disk storage chassis.

So on the plus side;
  • 15x SATA-III drive slots with sleds.
  • Triple psu.
  • Reasonable condition
  • Seller taking 'make an offer' offers of more than $5-$10
  • Cheap international shipping
On the minus side;
  • No SAS
  • Older chassis
Personally I am not looking to include SAS drive in a home network and I would imagine that is not an uncommon viewpoint. Lack of SAS compatibility therefore may not be a big deal. Looking at picks of backplanes for this unit on Ebay, it looks like it may actually have SAS connectors on the drive side and SATA on the controller / motherboard side so SAS drives may work fine (although no real SAS advantages like dual ported features). I have a few 15k SAS drives knocking around so will try them when it arrives.

Older chassis... Supermicro chassis are usually very well made so I personally don't have too many concerns there. PSUs are available on Ebay for around $20 each or $80 for all three and the housing. . People are selling the SATA backplane for this unit @ $20 -> $50.

There is still someone selling these on EBay new for around $900 (plus $450 shipping to where I am).

Still looks like a reasonable deal especially if you are outside the US and need international delivery.

Reactions: slatfats