supermicro cse-847 with superQuiet power supplies 36bay 4u chassis $399

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pypypy

Jan 6, 2021
Reactions: Samir and gb00s

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Got one of them with SAS3 backplane and the motherboard for $520 though mine didn't include rails or trays.

Reactions: Samir

abq

May 23, 2015
Thanks for posting great deal. I do wish these were the SAS3 backplane version, for my NAS use case;).

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020
Please forgive my noobishness with my knowledge of Supermicro servers...

Is the desire for the SAS backplane for this box around available bandwidth? I know SAS3 is 12Gbit vs SATA3 6Gbit, but is there some architectural difference in these backplanes outside of the per drive link speeds? eg port multipliers for SATA3 with shared upstream?

Or is it just a compatability desire of being able to use SAS drives?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Please forgive my noobishness with my knowledge of Supermicro servers...

Is the desire for the SAS backplane for this box around available bandwidth? I know SAS3 is 12Gbit vs SATA3 6Gbit, but is there some architectural difference in these backplanes outside of the per drive link speeds? eg port multipliers for SATA3 with shared upstream?

Or is it just a compatability desire of being able to use SAS drives?
It's actually bytes vs bits, and it's about bandwidth as you can end up using up the whole 6GBytes/sec when you have so many drives on a single link. Even if the max a drive can transfer is 200MB/sec, it takes only 5 drives to hit 1GB/sec and 30 drives to max out 6GB/sec. And if you are using ssds, this is even worse as even just half that number of drives would max out 6GB/sec.

But now that I'm running the numbers, if the use is primarily traditional hard drives, it will only get bottlenecked by 1GB/sec or so.

Of course, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I've always looked at these units.

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020
Yep, that's what I thought - I don't know how the backplanes are architected with lanes/links/ports and how oversubscribed they are with respect to drive count