Supermicro CSE-847 dead??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gjalt

Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

Having problems with my Supermicro CSE-847 case, running without any problems for last year but two days ago it stopt working for no reason.
Computer boots for a few seconds with a beep and then turns of to start the process all over again.
Already tried:
- remove all the disks
- different psu
- other mobo
- turn on case (psu) only with connecting green/black wires
- detach the backplane

Did you guys can help me out? I'm running out of options.
a short video of the exact problem: iCloud

Thanx in advance!

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
that behavior is typical of a short some where... my instinct would be to hunt for a short... did you check the PDB?

Reactions: Aestr

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
that behavior is typical of a short some where... my instinct would be to hunt for a short... did you check the PDB?
This. About the only thing you haven't replaced or removed is the PDB. Check the wiring harness coming off the PDB as well to make sure a cable didn't get pinched at some point when pushing the motherboard tray back in.

Gjalt

Sep 16, 2019
This. About the only thing you haven't replaced or removed is the PDB. Check the wiring harness coming off the PDB as well to make sure a cable didn't get pinched at some point when pushing the motherboard tray back in.
Thank you both for the quick reply, i will check the PDB tonight. Let you know...

Gjalt

Sep 16, 2019
Hi guys,
Look what i have found in the PDB iCloud
Unafortaly still having same problem, connected both psu to the PDB outside the case and connected green and black wire but still having a beep and turns off.
PDB looks good from my point, should i order a new (refurbished) one or is there something else i could try?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hi guys,
Look what i have found in the PDB iCloud
Unafortaly still having same problem, connected both psu to the PDB outside the case and connected green and black wire but still having a beep and turns off.
PDB looks good from my point, should i order a new (refurbished) one or is there something else i could try?
That's strange how that got in there... Never seen that before.

You need to look for a short. Check the PDB as well as the harness...

Gjalt

Sep 16, 2019
Hi guys,

So after spending serveral hours to look for a short what i could't find ended up buying a new one (refurbished).
Everything is working great now again.

Thanks for your help!

Gjalt

Sep 16, 2019
New PDB. Only problem is that the new one has no white wire. It is simply missing.
I used the white wire to short this with the black one so the PSU will run in quite modes. Is there any other method to run these PSU in quite fan modes without connection the black and white cable on the atx connector?