Supermicro CSE-835TQ-R800B case, new for $299 + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Just bought a Supermicro CSE-835TQ-R800B chassis for $299 + $69.92 shipping. Unit is new-in-the-box, with rails and all standard SKU accessories.

The seller also lists these on eBay, but shipping is much higher there, for some reason, and eBay charges State sales tax.

Seller is TECHYPARTS:

Supermicro's product page:

This is a discontinued model, but they're still available new in the wild: wiredzone.com sells the identical unit -- drop-shipped from Supermicro -- for $735. So this seems like a great deal to me; a new chassis at less than half the street price.

I'm not usually a fan of Supermicro's TQ-style chassis, but this case's 8-port backplane mates perfectly with the 8 ports of the LSI SAS2308 HBA built-in to my X10SL7-F motherboard. I've also mounted a BluRay/DVD drive in one of the 5 1/4" bays for ripping videos, another plus.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
The 'STH Effect' must be in full force? There were 11 of these available when I bought mine. Now there's only one.

• Haha
Reactions: itronin

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
So it looks like that one unit is still available - does anyone know if we will take a 2 x 5/14 bay -> 3 x 3.5 drive cage (like the
SilverStone Technology RL-FS303B ) ?
Supermicro sells 8 x 2.5" racks that fit into the two 5.25" bays:

No way to know for certain without trying it, of course. But the 5.25" bays are standard-sized bays and Supermicro sells the rack above that fits into them. So the SilverStone unit ought to work, too.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the link. The question is whether there are some metal tabs that separate the bays - if there are then it won't take these rack.
If someone who has this unit can please check and/or post some pictures - I would really appreciate it.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks for the link. The question is whether there are some metal tabs that separate the bays - if there are then it won't take these rack.
If someone who has this unit can please check and/or post some pictures - I would really appreciate it.
There are tabs between they bays. I don't know if they're removable. You might ask Supermicro tech support to find out for certain.

cse835-bay-view.jpg

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks a ton. That's a bummer - It most likely won't take the cages - will check with SM to be sure before I pull the trigger on this.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks a ton. That's a bummer - It most likely won't take the cages - will check with SM to be sure before I pull the trigger on this.
You're welcome.

Given that Supermicro sells a cage that works in the 2 x 5.25" bay, my guess is that the Silverstone cage will fit as well. But I could be wrong, and it certainly won't hurt to ask Supermicro. :)

Good luck!

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
It works perfectly fine in an 835. Sorry for the crappy photo.
View attachment 19282
Do you recall having any difficulties with the small tabs in the 2 x 5.25" bay? Are the tabs removable? Or did your 8 x 2.5" cage have slots to slide over them?

@groove is concerned that a Silverstone cage won't slide into the 2 x 5.25" bay because of the tabs (in my photo above).