SuperMicro CSE-829U no backplane - what to get?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

p4cm4n

May 6, 2021
Hey guys,

I put a bid in on a server on ebay - the CSE-829U x10dru-i+, didn't realize until later it had no backplane. No big deal, but I see there are shit tons of variants, and as long as I'm going to put one in, I figure I'll ask some people with more experience than me what to get?

I could go with the BPN-SAS3-826EL but two things here - one, I don't have, nor will I ever have SAS3 drives. I do have SATAIII drives though, so that'd work but...

I have no HBA for this either. Seems the SAS3-826EL has the mini-sas connector which I have the older style SFF-8087 on nearly everything at the moment. I don't care about the speed necessarily, and rather not spend additional cash at the moment if I don't have to.

My requirements : 12 SATA 3.5 drives
$$ little as possible

If I don't use one with an expander thats fine - as I have HBA's to support multiple SFF-8087's but nothing that could do the newer mini-sas.

I'm starting to feel I got ripped off on the ebay deal, but too late now. :D

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Sas826A like this should work. But you will need 2 8i HBAs or 1 16i hba. Check the compatibility on SM site for that chassis just to make sure. It will support 6gbps drives. Just ignore the description that says 3gbps.

p4cm4n

May 6, 2021
Sas826A like this should work. But you will need 2 8i HBAs or 1 16i hba. Check the compatibility on SM site for that chassis just to make sure. It will support 6gbps drives. Just ignore the description that says 3gbps.

I can’t see anywhere on the SM site about compatibility for this backplane. I guess technically there are a bunch of pre-built models that use this system (cse-829u) but I’m not sure which this is yet til I get it.

I was wondering about that BP tho and if all 2u models are compatible with the chassis. I wanted to play with everything when it comes but I may have to wait and scope it out before I order more crap

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Proceed with caution. It's always best to 100% that what you order will in fact work in your chassis. I've shot myself in the foot more than once.