supermicro CSE-829 chasis with active CPU heatsink

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
I am new to home servers and this is my first post. Recently I bought the supermicro sys-6028u-tr4t+ and found it's too noisy. I want to lower the fan speed but at the same time use active CPU heatsinks like R14 | Dynatron or R24 | Dynatron. Apparently the two riser mounts are in the way, as shown in the first photo.
IMG_7135.jpeg

I don't plan to install long GPUs in this case. The chassis has mounting points about 3" back and make me think there must be a shorter riser mount, which should be perfect for me. However after searching on the internet I only found barebones like this one:

SUPERMICRO CSE-829U-X10DRU-I+ BAREBONE CHASSIS 12LFF 2x HS 2x PSU | eBay

I am trying to get information from the seller. Also wonder if anyone here knows if there is a way to get the riser mounts without too much hassle. Or does anyone use a different active CPU heat sink that can work with the original mount?

IMG_7134.jpeg

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
You can use ipmitool tool to set the fan speeds. Most home use cases you can reduce the fan speed and temps should be in acceptable range. Search the forums on how to use ipmitool to set fan speeds in supermicro motherboards for more information.

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
You can use ipmitool tool to set the fan speeds. Most home use cases you can reduce the fan speed and temps should be in acceptable range. Search the forums on how to use ipmitool to set fan speeds in supermicro motherboards for more information.
I did try to use ipmitool to do some simple speed control but I got the beep sound due to higher CPU temp with moderate activity, so I have to ramp up the fan a little bit again. That's why I start thinking of getting more fans there so that each can be set at a lower speed. However, it seems at the moment it's hard to get a set of riser brackets for experiment without spending similar amount of money of a whole barebone. I guess I will have to look at the script on the forum using ipmitool to dynamically control the fan speed.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I did try to use ipmitool to do some simple speed control but I got the beep sound due to higher CPU temp with moderate activity, so I have to ramp up the fan a little bit again. That's why I start thinking of getting more fans there so that each can be set at a lower speed. However, it seems at the moment it's hard to get a set of riser brackets for experiment without spending similar amount of money of a whole barebone. I guess I will have to look at the script on the forum using ipmitool to dynamically control the fan speed.
Did you ever figure this out? I am considering picking one of these up for home use (I love mine that's colocated) but I'm worried about fan speed.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
You can disassemble the bar and then have to cut the cover like I did. The bar is needed with really heavy graphic cards only.

829_Mod.jpg

Reactions: Bradford

Bradford

May 27, 2016
You can disassemble the bar and then have to cut the cover like I did. The bar is needed with really heavy graphic cards only.
Nice! Do you have part numbers for the fan you added? Did it require a new heatsink as well? And how is the noise level now?

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
The part number is actually on the cooler ;)

But I switched from X10-DPU boards to X11 & H11. That cooler is an LGA3647 cooler. Depending on where you are located, I could sell SM & Intel active coolers w/fans for 2011-3. Just let me know.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradford

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Well I missed out on the auction so I still have some time before I outfit another one of these. How do you like the H11? That would be a fun build