Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B - Has anyone used?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I'm start to plan my Xeon D build. Has anyone used one of these chassis before?

They look like a good DIY NAS option instead of the HP microserver. 2x 2.5" fixed SSD and 4x hot swap drive.

mITX only which sucks if you want more expansion slots. With the Xeon D I'm not sure its needed. You'd get all 2.5" and 3.5" covered by onboard SATA and still have an expansion port available.

I know there's the Silverstone too, but I like the layout of this and the price with PSU is good. I'd also like to see a comparison of the two if anyone has.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I couldn't find a good pic of the internals but the layout seems very similar to the CFI A7879 which has a full-height PCI slot - I made a build with that for a friend and it's a perfectly good little enclosure. Although the Supermicro lists SAS support on its backplane might be beneficial to some, over this side of the pond the SM is selling for £500 and I picked the CFI up for under £70.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Being a bit more clear: I have one of these in the lab now: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini-ATX | 5028D-TN4T

I have to imagine, if you wanted to get a first colo box, this would be awesome. You could get a cheapo Fusion-IO card or soon Intel 750 SSD, a m.2 PCIe SSD, 2x 2.5" SATA SSDs and have 4x 3.5" large spindle disks with 8C/16T and 128GB of RAM. Put it in a cheap mini/mid tower datacenter for $40/ mo and save a ton of money over having to colo 2-3 Xeon E3 systems. Even using low-cost $40/mo colo per box each box is $1440/ 3 years and much lower complexity.

Reactions: Chuntzu and OBasel

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I've got a ____ just thinking about that.
My fill in the blank is....pissed of wife...since Patrick makes me want to spend my hard earned money on more fun toys!!!!! That thing is awesome! Its like the titan brother of a readynas

zer0gravity

Feb 15, 2013
Where can you get 40$ a mon for a colo? I'm in Michigan and nothing seems to be that cheap for a 2U box with a internet port.

Paul Braren

Nov 10, 2012
Wethersfield, CT
TinkerTry.com
Just got my Supermicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T on order last night (it uses this chassis). Should know soon if I like the case design, and how the system does with VMware ESXi 6.0 and 64GB of RAM.

Last edited: