Supermicro cse-216 power distro and X9DRi-LN4F+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nvious1

Aug 9, 2018
So I recently picked up an empty SM CSE-216 barebones chassis that has dual 1200 gold PSUs. I then picked up the SM X9DRi-LN4F+ mobo with dual E5-2630 v2. I go to put the mobo in the chassis and I am reviewing the manual and it says:
Code:
 Be sure to connect these power supply connectors to the 24-pin power connector 
(JPW1) and two 8-pin power connectors (JPW2, JPW3) on the motherboard.
So I look at the power cables from the distributor and it only has 1 8-pin and not 2 but has 2 separate 4-pin plugs that don't look like if I combined them will fit into the 2nd 8-ping slot. It might go but haven't tried it. Do I need to find a different power distro with update cables for this chassis, or will the 2 x 4-pin adapters be suitable for the 2nd 8-pin slot? Any ideas or thoughts?

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Try to see if they fit, don't put much pressure. If they fit try to find marks or symbols on the board to make sure polarity is correct. Also, got a multimeter handy?

Nvious1

Aug 9, 2018
So the one 4-pin plug all the plug forms match up and it seems to fit snug with the hold down clasp they have, and the other one seems to also go in because all the pin forms are those square with rounded tops molds. Also I unfortunately don't have a multi-meter.

Nvious1

Aug 9, 2018
Ok, so I think I am good to go. I pulled the power distro unit, found the part number and found this on the SM estore.

The Supermicro power distributor PDB-PT216-8824 connects 19-pairs input to (1) power 24-pin ATX, (2) power 8-pin +12v, (6) legacy 4-pin, and (1) l2C.

By this description and after cutting a couple zip ties saw the 2 black 4pin plugs have the same yellow and black wires as the whole 8-pin connector and a large label that says Connect to Motherboard only so I am fairly certain these 2 black 4 pin plugs make up the 2nd 8-pin 12v from the description.

I am waiting on some heatsinks to arrive so I can't fire this up to know for sure until that happens.

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Ok, so I think I am good to go. I pulled the power distro unit, found the part number and found this on the SM estore.

The Supermicro power distributor PDB-PT216-8824 connects 19-pairs input to (1) power 24-pin ATX, (2) power 8-pin +12v, (6) legacy 4-pin, and (1) l2C.

By this description and after cutting a couple zip ties saw the 2 black 4pin plugs have the same yellow and black wires as the whole 8-pin connector and a large label that says Connect to Motherboard only so I am fairly certain these 2 black 4 pin plugs make up the 2nd 8-pin 12v from the description.

I am waiting on some heatsinks to arrive so I can't fire this up to know for sure until that happens.
I would ask for a picture to verify but you seem to have found valid info so you should be good to. Good luck with the build!

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
You will be ok to connect 4 pin EPS from PDB to one of the CPUs. Although not applicable in your case, same goes for 20 PIN ATX from PDB/PS to 24 PIN on MB.