Supermicro CSE-216 24-Bay 2U Server Chassis w/ (2) PWS-501P-1R PSU (no sleds/rails)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
No.

Cheapest I've gotten is $5-7 and when you * 24 you may as well just get one from another seller with them all and not waste time sourcing them that cheap as they're often more or much more.

Even at $5/Each you can buy one complete, with plat psus, delivered for that.

I have some w/out trays I got cheap too, but they're just compute units.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Once again a good deal I could almost be interested in, but shipping costs as much as the item does.

As for the sleds, I thought I read once that many of the 2.5" sleds are compatible between chassis - can anyone confirm that? If so, which sleds exactly are compatible with SuperMicro chassis? I happen to have easy access to 2.5" HP trays.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Not to thread snag but is there any REAL difference between a Supermicro CSE216 and a SC216...been wondering this for quite some time. I see a bunch of these listed as expander versions but I have one with 6 minisas 8087 ports on the backplane so mine must not be the expander model...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Not to thread snag but is there any REAL difference between a Supermicro CSE216 and a SC216...been wondering this for quite some time. I see a bunch of these listed as expander versions but I have one with 6 minisas 8087 ports on the backplane so mine must not be the expander model...
Same thing really.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 2U | SC216BA-R920LPB
On page it says:
CSE-216BA-R920LPB
SC216BA-R920LPB

SC = SuperChassis

The letters/# after the 216 are if it's expanded or not, # of ex panders, etc...

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Any insights @T_Minus on the backplane inquiry, I KNOW there has been GOBS of backplane discussions but trying to avoid getting lost in a rats hole on a Friday evening. Mine must be a direct/non-expander version right? Sorry if I need to just go RTFM...if anyone knows it offhand though, hell maybe I got lucky and got the 'desirable version' of that backplane but I SWEAR I see some listed as expander and then I go look at it looks like 6 direct 8087 minisas conn's :-D

Alright, I'm done thread thieving, back to topic at hand...was sort of inter-related though

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Some sellers don't know what they are listing.

Some are expander, and some are the 6x 8087, I have versions of both and I even have expander versions that have redundant (2) expanders. I believe when you see the #2 in the part# IE: 216EL2 that "2" at the end = 2 expanders but I may be wrong and that may mean SAS2, I'm sure there's some magic decoder out there :) I'm not 100% on how they list the non-expander versions, I have some I can check but If I recall they just say CSE-216 on the side/sticker.

EDIT: Just checked the part#/sticker on the side just says CSE-216 -- There may be another someplace but I haven't seen it.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah mine has some damn 'Calxeda' branding on the front right rack ear/handle and no orig sticker that I can find.

Anyways thanks, GL to any that get these chassis, they are sweet! Not getting the sleds would be a deal breaker for me though.