Supermicro / Coraid 3u chassis 99 OBO + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
LOL, yeah. Most important question IMO, is what kind of backplane is is this one?
No pictures to confirm, but it includes "2x SAT2-MV8" controllers so 95+% odds its a 'TQ' backplane, 16 individual SAS/SATA connectors. Bonus maybe if its an 'A' backplane with 8087 connectors.

Almost no chance that it is an expander based backplane or they would not have needed 2x 8-port HBAs.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: fossxplorer

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If you can get him to knock down the shipping it mught be an OK deal for an 836TQ chassis. You'll want to replace the PSU with a platinum or SQ model, but you really only need one. Youll probably need to add rails. And the chassis is old enough that it might have 3-pin fans that you'll need to replace.

Make an offer that comes near $125 shipped and see if he bites.

Reactions: Patrick

carlitoCabeza

Nov 20, 2016
If you can get him to knock down the shipping it mught be an OK deal for an 836TQ chassis. You'll want to replace the PSU with a platinum or SQ model, but you really only need one. Youll probably need to add rails. And the chassis is old enough that it might have 3-pin fans that you'll need to replace.

Make an offer that comes near $125 shipped and see if he bites.

I emailed him, asking if he would just sell me the chassis, did not answer and went with a 2U barebone supermicro, chassis, 12 bays with caddy's, backplane, dual 800w psu and rails for 198.95 Free shipping. I have a ts140 cramped with 6 hdd and two sdd, will move everything there so I can make another pool as my main one is almost at 85% capacity. Was that a fair price?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
I offered $50, we'll see what they do.

I have a S2600CP that's currently housed in a DIY disaster to put in it if they bite.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I emailed him, asking if he would just sell me the chassis, did not answer and went with a 2U barebone supermicro, chassis, 12 bays with caddy's, backplane, dual 800w psu and rails for 198.95 Free shipping. I have a ts140 cramped with 6 hdd and two sdd, will move everything there so I can make another pool as my main one is almost at 85% capacity. Was that a fair price?

Depends on the backplane. If it has a 826A you got a sweet deal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

carlitoCabeza

Nov 20, 2016
That backplane can only handle drives upto 2TB.
A or TQ are direct attached and can handle newer drives. So they command a premium.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Ohhhhhh too bad, so sad! :(, All my drives happen to be 3tb, I will tell myself now "it's a good chassis though" ... if I have to buy a backplane, and I have :(, I'm thinking a Sas2826el1 it's a better option than buying a sas826a, As I wont have to buy another hba down the road, I have a 8port h310 flashed to IT, this is for my own use as a backup freenas with wd sata reds, but, would a passthrough backplane be the better option is something I'm asking myself, any thoughts?

PS: thanks for all your answers, they have helped me a lot!

Last edited:

antsh

Sep 14, 2017
I bought one of these from them a while back. Came with 4pin pwm fans throughout and 2 800watt non-gold PSUs. TQ backplane. Your mileage may vary.

Anathematician

Jan 19, 2017
If anyone is still following this I offered $50 plus shipping and they accepted. And to confirm, the backplane is SAS836TQ, with an absurd yet manageable 16 SATA cables so no drive size issues.

Also it did come wrapped in bubble wrap and peanuts, but they took the handles off and power supplies out so it arrived in good shape.