Supermicro C2558 Lan Bypass Motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

Search the Item No Provided.

I hope you can find it. I could.

RedX1

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Watch out for AVR54!
My fight thought also.

Its a 2014 design and fixed/updated designs are earliest mid 2017 i belive.
So its definatly having the AVR54 issues, being from a corporate upgrade id expect them to have quite a few hours already also.

If this had been a design with the fix implemented at that cost i would have been interested in all.
Would have been great to spec up with old msatas/ddr3 and resell, but how long before i start getting calls about them not booting.

Reactions: Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
However, Supermicro is probably still fixing these for free (plus cost of shipping to them).
Supermicro EU will not for this old stuff, id assume same for US.
We got RMA denied based on age for newer stuff than this.

Id expect you to be able to have this done at pretty much any repairshop that does soldering tho.
They just place a few 150 Ω between pads ontop of existing.

[Edit: Removing Pictures at ericloewe's request]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Supermicro EU will not for this old stuff
Last October or so, they RMA'd my A1SRi which did not boot, though they did not RMA my other A1SRi which did boot but had a dead BMC LPC clock and thus could not talk to the BMC, locking me out (bought used, seller could not dig up original password). Definitely state "C2000 AVR54" in big, bold letters when requesting an RMA.

More detail here, deeper nitty-gritty over at the TrueNAS Forums (shameless plug alert) but I don't think I've seen anything for the A1SRMs. With some luck, they use the same partial layout for that section of the board. Should be easy to verify with an oscilloscope, if the layout does look the same.

Also, sidenote: It's rude to steal my pictures, which is what you've technically done there by copying them over, cropping them, compressing them down and annotating one of them without stating their origin.
To be clear: I have no problem whatsoever (in fact, I encourage it) with taking the images, distributing them, annotating them in sensible ways, whatever if it keeps one of these boards from becoming e-waste. You should, however, if for no other reason than to ensure traceability, attribute the image to where you got it from. And since this is not a fancy journal that's anal about citations, you can just paste a hyperlink back to to the original post.
Someone might say these pictures are pretty trivial, and they kind of are. In fact, here's a better one, taken with a proper setup by @RZSN. I took mine to directly compare a fixed board (my A1SRi-2758F, fixed by Supermicro) and an unfixed board (my A1SRi-2558F, with dead BMC LPC clock), following @RZSN's successful fix. In turn, their fix was enabled by a potato quality photo in a somewhat-obscure forum thread - serious credit to the original poster, who apparently convinced their Supermicro rep to send them a picture.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Also, sidenote: It's rude to steal my pictures, which is what you've technically done there by copying them over, cropping them, compressing them down and annotating one of them without stating their origin.
Actually, it's more than rude, it's technically IP theft. I have a problem with photo theft because I was a photographer that dealt with stuff like this all the time. I even had 2 pictures published in a newspaper and magazine without proper attributations or compensation. And because of the legal loophole of 'innocent infringer', I wouldn't have even been able to cover my legal bills if I sued. So all of this was a factor in my putting down all 8 cameras for the last 10 years and stopping online publishing.

mrrensing01

Dec 9, 2015
Did anybody ever take a shot on one of these?

Looks like the price has been lowered and there's hope the AVR54 bug has been addressed looking at the sticker on the PCIe slot.

Feb 2017 sticker from auction photo
1685735445225.png

I'm tempted to order a couple to replace non-IPMI embedded boards I've been using on a few projects. Already been bitten by AVR54 on a NetGate appliance but ~$50 for 4 cores and IPMI has me looking for the dice...time to roll 'em?

The other thing is I'm not seeing a product page or model specific BIOS/BMC on Supermicro's site. Guessing both are OEM specific and won't use retail A1SRM-LN7F binaries but need to look into it if I do take a chance.

Reactions: Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Did anybody ever take a shot on one of these?

Looks like the price has been lowered and there's hope the AVR54 bug has been addressed looking at the sticker on the PCIe slot.

Feb 2017 sticker from auction photo
View attachment 29348

I'm tempted to order a couple to replace non-IPMI embedded boards I've been using on a few projects. Already been bitten by AVR54 on a NetGate appliance but ~$50 for 4 cores and IPMI has me looking for the dice...time to roll 'em?

The other thing is I'm not seeing a product page or model specific BIOS/BMC on Supermicro's site. Guessing both are OEM specific and won't use retail A1SRM-LN7F binaries but need to look into it if I do take a chance.
Here’s what @Patrick wrote in STH’s original article about the bug in the vendor responses section:

“Supermicro: RMA for platform-level workaround available for concerned customers. We also did confirm that Supermicro has implemented the platform level workaround in products shipped from January 2017 onwards.”

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

So, ought to be OK?

Tegan

Jan 31, 2011
I bought one. It does not have the same sticker, but it does have some wires soldered on the back of the board that don’t look like they came from the factory. I also saw the same wires in another photo of these boards when I was first looking into it. In that photo, they were far to long to ever pass QC and I assumed they were part of a AVR54 repair.
As far as what the board actually is; the bios calls it a Citrix SD-WAN 410. I couldn’t tell you how it compares to the regular version of this motherboard and I haven’t tried to flash it with the regular bios.
I hope that helps.

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
I bought one. It does not have the same sticker, but it does have some wires soldered on the back of the board that don’t look like they came from the factory. I also saw the same wires in another photo of these boards when I was first looking into it. In that photo, they were far to long to ever pass QC and I assumed they were part of a AVR54 repair.
As far as what the board actually is; the bios calls it a Citrix SD-WAN 410. I couldn’t tell you how it compares to the regular version of this motherboard and I haven’t tried to flash it with the regular bios.
I hope that helps.
could you post pictures please?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I hope that helps.
When the issues originally surfaced, I recall seeing pictures of Supermicro’s repair for A1SDi boards (don’t remember where, sorry). At the time I remembered thinking, wow that long wire in the back…

so maybe these are reworked ones.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
If the price drops any further its tempting to put an offer on all boards and just take the risk.

To be clear: I have no problem whatsoever (in fact, I encourage it) with taking the images, distributing them, annotating them in sensible ways, whatever if it keeps one of these boards from becoming e-waste. You should, however, if for no other reason than to ensure traceability, attribute the image to where you got it from. And since this is not a fancy journal that's anal about citations, you can just paste a hyperlink back to to the original post.
That link/thread is not the source i looked at.

Last October or so, they RMA'd my A1SRi which did not boot
We have also had stuff repaired previously but are getting told no now using same template when submitting ticket.
Tried as recent as last month on a fairly highend board.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
And because of the legal loophole of 'innocent infringer', I wouldn't have even been able to cover my legal bills if I sued. So all of this was a factor in my putting down all 8 cameras for the last 10 years and stopping online publishing.
With the amount of abuse happening from some photographers/agencies with bombarding out "pay this skyhigh rate for having used it or we take you to court" without base, im suprised photographers have not lost more rights.
You can have done all inhouse and you still get it regularly.

Domesticly here they are looking at setting price limits on pictures and to consider it resolved without anything to pay if they remove pic within x days.
The photographers making simple stock illustrations and focusing on SEO to get it up in google were deemed malicious.
Billing the old lady running the church facebook page 5k for posting the top google picture result of "easter egg" to 50people does not run well in public opinion.