Supermicro BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
if someone needs to replace SATA to SAS2 backplane from "cheap" Compellent 3u (supermicro 3U case) server deal from ebay
(I bought months back for $90+shipping)

there is an auction for BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane , which is in fair price:
Supermicro BPN-SAS2-836EL1 SAS Expander Server Backplane 3U 12 Bay BPNSAS2836EL1

buy it price is $ 50
Seller accepts $34 for make offer.

my first make offer and the seller was firm in make-offer.
. this seller is very firm on make offer, knocking off $ up to 5 bucks.
Supermicro BPN-SAS2-836EL1 - Server 3U - SAS/SATA Backplane +Frame FREE SHIP US!
buy it now price $55.
make offer could knock $5 off.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatrixMJK

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Ok. Hopefully someone from sth bought those.
Since the price was very tempting

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
I got them, couldn't pass up a good price on SAS2 backplanes. I've gotten four of the Dell/Compellant boxes from ebay sellers and this will be nice to convert a couple of them to single cable chassis. The TQ's are nice too since you can split the bays for host or guest use. I may use these just to make expansion boxes for the compellant's.

Thank you to the original poster for this deal, and of course to the STH community that is always looking out for each other.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I got them, couldn't pass up a good price on SAS2 backplanes. I've gotten four of the Dell/Compellant boxes from ebay sellers and this will be nice to convert a couple of them to single cable chassis. The TQ's are nice too since you can split the bays for host or guest use. I may use these just to make expansion boxes for the compellant's.

Thank you to the original poster for this deal, and of course to the STH community that is always looking out for each other.
Hey, glad to know!!! :D

HWGeek

Sep 30, 2015

Kind of cheeky ending with "the STH community that is always looking out for each other" as you just bought the whole stock of a nice deal someone else found for you. It's supposed to be a two-way street...

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
Kind of cheeky ending with "the STH community that is always looking out for each other" as you just bought the whole stock of a nice deal someone else found for you. It's supposed to be a two-way street...
I do not think buying two of an item is excessive. They will both be put to use. There were only four to begin with. If there were 20 available and I bought most of them to re-sell or something similar, then yes that would be offensive.

Reactions: Rain and frogtech

Kybber

May 27, 2016
I just snagged the next-to-last one of these at almost the same price (free shipping in US): Supermicro BPN-SAS2-836EL1 - Server 3U - SAS/SATA Backplane +Frame FREE SHIP US!

I also got an 836 "Compellent" for $180 (also free shipping). Not a bad deal, methinks. Due to the TQ-card in the case, I was wondering for several days what the deal was before I found this thread which made the connecton and helped push the trigger. Thanks!

Reactions: Chuntzu

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I just snagged the next-to-last one of these at almost the same price (free shipping in US): Supermicro BPN-SAS2-836EL1 - Server 3U - SAS/SATA Backplane +Frame FREE SHIP US!

I also got an 836 "Compellent" for $180 (also free shipping). Not a bad deal, methinks. Due to the TQ-card in the case, I was wondering for several days what the deal was before I found this thread which made the connecton and helped push the trigger. Thanks!
how much did you paid?
they still has two left on auction :p...

I did make-offer ( your link to ebay auction) before jump on second offer from other seller.

the seller that you link was very firm on make offer :p. finalized price was $50.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Sleyk: Thank you for your warm welcome :) I've been lurking around for a couple of months now, and this seems like the place to be.

how much did you paid?
I paid $54.99. Didn't want to make a lower offer and risk someone else buying while I was waiting. Also, I am hoping for combined shipping of the chassis and backplane to Norway via a proxy service, so the packages have to arrive close together. Glad to hear you also got a good deal :)

IceBucket

Aug 20, 2016
Hi all...I got one of the SAS2-836EL1 backplanes...but not sure how to install it. I was able to get out the SAS-836EL1 out of my case. I noticed that at a few places in the chassis there are hooks (like to hang a picture frame / speakers). The existing backplane had holes like the picture frame to match. The SAS2 backplane has all round holes. It did come with a metal frame. But no picture frame holes in the metal frame either. Any ideas on how to install the SAS2-836EL1 backplane on SAS-836EL1/TQ chassis?

Reactions: Jubeldum