supermicro board Stuck on logo B2.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Im having this problem dunno what happened, i was trying to install windows server over ipmi after couple of resets the mobo is just stuck on supermicro logo with error message B2.

anybody knows what happened and how to fix it ?

also added an image.

Attachments

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Im having this problem dunno what happened, i was trying to install windows server over ipmi after couple of resets the mobo is just stuck on supermicro logo with error message B2.
I think the B2 is just the phase it is in (similar to the old Port 80 diagnostic LED). It is very common on BIOSes with AMI ancestry. B2 is either something to do with determining the boot device, console initialization, or scanning for option ROMs, depending on what AMI BIOS it is derived from.

If you can reset it and get into BIOS setup, turn off "dumb mode" where it just displays the logo. Supermicro normally calls this "Quiet boot" and it is usually in Advanced Settings / Boot Feature. I would set both Quick boot and Quiet boot to disabled.

After that, when you reset it you should get a better idea of where it is hanging, which will hopefully give you a hint on how to fix it.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
I think the B2 is just the phase it is in (similar to the old Port 80 diagnostic LED). It is very common on BIOSes with AMI ancestry. B2 is either something to do with determining the boot device, console initialization, or scanning for option ROMs, depending on what AMI BIOS it is derived from.

If you can reset it and get into BIOS setup, turn off "dumb mode" where it just displays the logo. Supermicro normally calls this "Quiet boot" and it is usually in Advanced Settings / Boot Feature. I would set both Quick boot and Quiet boot to disabled.

After that, when you reset it you should get a better idea of where it is hanging, which will hopefully give you a hint on how to fix it.
I Know it is since last time i was trying to load iso's via ipmi in order to install an os and after couple of resets and loading/unloading iso's it just hangs, the thing is I cannot enter bios at all. because it comes before the bios.

im however thinking maybe it is possible to reflash bios somehow ?
ive seen an option on ipmi but it looks like I need somekind of a bios key code to unlock this feature.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I Know it is since last time i was trying to load iso's via ipmi in order to install an os and after couple of resets and loading/unloading iso's it just hangs, the thing is I cannot enter bios at all. because it comes before the bios.

im however thinking maybe it is possible to reflash bios somehow ?
ive seen an option on ipmi but it looks like I need somekind of a bios key code to unlock this feature.
You should still be able to get to the IPMI interface since it is running on the BMC. Make sure you have all of your virtual media disconnected.

The motherboard should have a "clear config" jumper. That should hopefully get the motherboard un-stuck if dismounting the virtual media from the IPMI side doesn't fix it. The only time I've seen this is in UEFI mode on older BIOS versions, BTW. There's apparently some table of UEFI boot devices that fills up and overflows.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
You should still be able to get to the IPMI interface since it is running on the BMC. Make sure you have all of your virtual media disconnected.

The motherboard should have a "clear config" jumper. That should hopefully get the motherboard un-stuck if dismounting the virtual media from the IPMI side doesn't fix it. The only time I've seen this is in UEFI mode on older BIOS versions, BTW. There's apparently some table of UEFI boot devices that fills up and overflows.
tried that already, just like it is suggested on supermicro website, disconnect ac power, take out the battery, short the jumper with a screw driver or a small metal. after doing so when im connecting the ac power again mobo just start up automatically so it seems like cmos restarted, but then again it hangs on B2 supermicro logo screen, strange.

what do you think about flashing the mobo ?

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
B2 is caused sometimes by legacy devices. Do you have any dedicated controllers connected? When you flushed BIOS last time, did you update IPMI as well?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
tried that already, just like it is suggested on supermicro website, disconnect ac power, take out the battery, short the jumper with a screw driver or a small metal. after doing so when im connecting the ac power again mobo just start up automatically so it seems like cmos restarted, but then again it hangs on B2 supermicro logo screen, strange.

what do you think about flashing the mobo ?
I don't know if there's a way to flash your particular model if it won't POST. Normally the Supermicro BIOS updates run under MS-DOS or equivalent. There may be a failsafe mode which bypasses some of the POST and loads a specially-named update file from bootable media, but I don't know what it is. Supermicro support should be helpful, though.

What happens if you press the delete key rapidly after a reset? That should get rid of the "dumb mode" screen and show you the POST process. I would expect there to be at least a few seconds between the reset and the B2 hang, since it has to set up the processor/chipset registers and size memory before it gets to the B2. As I mentioned a few posts back, this may show where exactly it is hanging.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
B2 is caused sometimes by legacy devices. Do you have any dedicated controllers connected? When you flushed BIOS last time, did you update IPMI as well?
Nope, I didnt touched ipmi, and no controllers, also the only way i used to connected to the server was through the ipmi console interface. nothing more.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
I don't know if there's a way to flash your particular model if it won't POST. Normally the Supermicro BIOS updates run under MS-DOS or equivalent. There may be a failsafe mode which bypasses some of the POST and loads a specially-named update file from bootable media, but I don't know what it is. Supermicro support should be helpful, though.

What happens if you press the delete key rapidly after a reset? That should get rid of the "dumb mode" screen and show you the POST process. I would expect there to be at least a few seconds between the reset and the B2 hang, since it has to set up the processor/chipset registers and size memory before it gets to the B2. As I mentioned a few posts back, this may show where exactly it is hanging.
exactly it does load the memory the cpu and everything, it even shows the pxe boot loading, then the screen is like refreshing and when the supermicro logo comes back again, everything is being loaded and then it hangs on B2, trying to press DEL right after reset will result in bios writing: "Entering setup....", and the B2 comes down next to it and it Hangs again, not letting me entering bios, just hangs with entering setup...

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Well.. after contacting supermicro support section we had alot of testing. Then they said my bios chip should get reprogrammed at their labs. Shipping and handeling of the mobo + fixing cost was too expensive so i decided to buy a new mobo from my local supplier.

Goff

Jan 3, 2016
Thank you! It's time for me to call a service as well. MB has to be exchanged.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Nope, I didnt touched ipmi, and no controllers, also the only way i used to connected to the server was through the ipmi console interface. nothing more.
I fixed my tyan lga1155 with ipmi..
My screen was stuck in system initializing..
And flash bios through ipmi successfully..
The problem was my bios was corrupted during flashing with USB dos key.

Ipmi is my life saver....

On supermicro with ipmi. You can update bios via ipmi too.
But.. Some motherboard model forces you to buy a key for updating bios via ipmi.

Pretty sure your bios corrupted somehow..

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Thank you! It's time for me to call a service as well. MB has to be exchanged.
If available and unlocked.. You can flash bios via ipmi.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Well i still have this mobo. I was trying to find somewhere to buy this special key. And even when i found one and paid him I had to wait 3 weeks just to get a refund saying they cant really supply this key :).

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Well i still have this mobo. I was trying to find somewhere to buy this special key. And even when i found one and paid him I had to wait 3 weeks just to get a refund saying they cant really supply this key :).
Contact sm and beg for a special occasion mannerly .... For a key...

Do you want to send the motherboard to me freely or cheaply.. Ha-ha...