SuperMicro Backplane Capacitor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
What does this capacitor do? I ask because I was replacing a dead fan when I accidentally knocked one of these off of the backplane. The hard drive in the slot still functions OK.

So, I'm just a bit curious. Thanks!

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Eh..its not that bad.

1) It still works! Strangely enough.
2) I could buy a new backplane off ebay for $35.
3) I could replace the capacitor for $1
4) I have been thinking about getting a new chassis anyway

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Capacitors are generally used to smooth voltage, perhaps in this case for when all the drives spin-up at once. I would just de-solder the cap and replace it. They cost 10 cents or so.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
For $35 I would sit at my desk and press 'buy now' and then take out the 2? 3? screws and slide the new one in :)

This way I'm not wasting time soldering or better yet not risking an even bigger failure because I accidentally shorted something by mistake ;) ;)

Reactions: Patriot and _alex

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Im not going to do anything right now. I still have five unoccupied slots on that server, with really only plans to use two of them.

I was just more curious as to what its for if the slot still seems to work just fine.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
So when you slam a drive into a slot hot it causes back EMF that can damage components... that probably absorbs that... It could also be voltage smoothing for spin up.