Supermicro AOC-STGN-I1S $18 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
so cheapskate me gets one of these for my desktop, one of these for my server a few feet away, and a DAC cable?

Reactions: Samir

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
In my limited experience, 82599 always "just worked" for me and that's nothing to sneeze at.
I certainly was not knocking the card - otherwise I would not have posted it in the Great Deals. I just was genuinely surprised with the current pricing. Since completely switching to 40GbE myself I was not following the 10GbE gear prices as closely and I expected them to be much lower by now.

Whats the diff between these and the high priced(atleast now) Mx2 and X520's now?
Some products are just more popular than others. The price difference is not an indication of product qualities. This Supermicro card is very similar to Intel X520-DA1 - they share the same Intel 82599 chipset.

And Mellanox Connectx-2 (I am guessing that's what you meant by "Mx2") is popular precisely because at one point it was the most affordable 10GbE NIC. So it still gets recommended the most.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I certainly was not knocking the card - otherwise I would not have posted it in the Great Deals. I just was genuinely surprised with the current pricing. Since completely switching to 40GbE myself I was not following the 10GbE gear prices as closely and I expected them to be much lower by now.
Oh, I didn't think you were. I was just talking up the product. Networking is my definite weak area, and having a NIC just work is a big plus for me.

I've noticed an uptick in price for 10G NICs lately. Maybe there's more demand now that there's affordable new switches, and used switch prices have comedown as well?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I've noticed an uptick in price for 10G NICs lately.
Too many people stuck at home with their labs. :D 'Hmmm...what can I upgrade here?' :)

On the flip side, I've also sadly seen the part out of labs also increase by quite a bit, so there's also going to be a flood of parts if this keeps up. :(

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I got a motherboard a while back with dual 82599 NICs onboard. I'd read that post you liked and was worried that I'd have issues. In the end, it worked fine with virtually everything I tried, DACs (Cisco and Mellanox), Cheap $3 transceivers, and even SFP to RJ45 adapters.

So, I think its dependent on the particular implementation. Unless someone here has some of these SM cards already, @EasyRhino may need to just give it a try and see o_O

P.S. Datasheet says this card with do DAC up to 10 meters, but doesn't say what DAC are compatible/supported (other than SM Branded ones of course)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Too many people stuck at home with their labs. :D 'Hmmm...what can I upgrade here?' :)
I did the same...but opposite. As we're nearing the hot days here in Central California, I started looking at how to reduce the heat in my home office. I'd looked at the traffic behind the office switch and saw that I never got much above 2G, and then only for a short time. So, I pulled the 10G module from the switch and all the 10G NICs and am teaching myself about 1G bonding!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The 82599 SFP+ lock was implemented in the driver - not on the chip or card firmware. It was removed from the Linux kernel a long time ago (early in the 4.x release train). It still exists in the BSD driver (FreeBSD, FreeNAS, PFSense) but can be bypassed with a config parameter. The stock drivers for Windows come from Intel and still have the lock in them but there are drivers without the lock available.

Later Intel NICs (X710/722) have the SFP+ lock implemented in the card and is not so easily bypassed. Sucks...but there are aftermarket SFP+ modules that you can get from Fiberstore and others that "identify" themselves as Intel and work fine. You don't have to pay for the overpriced SFP+ module.

Since there is no device-id provided by a passive DAC they pretty much all work.

Last edited:

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
I bought this card last year for my C2758 running pfSense. Shame I didn't see that SFP+ lock post, because my DAC refused to link with it and it might've worked. I ended up using a FTLX8571D3BCL transceiver without any issue though.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Ordered one of these a few days ago (I'm planning to see if I can edit the PCI IDs with ethtool and use the SmallTree drivers in OS X).

Unfortunately the seller sent it in a Priority Mail Express box with only a First Class label attached, so USPS treated it as PM Express and it came postage due to the tune of more than 2x the cost of the card. Reached out to the seller, though, and they shipped out a replacement card right away and will deal with the USPS to recall the first package. I'm in no hurry anyway (haven't yet run the fiber to my office in my new house in the first place), so it's not a big deal to me and the seller was very quick and friendly in addressing the issue.