Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 Dual M2 card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
But that card requires a PLX chip on the motherboard. I am looking for one w/o the PLX chip on the MB (not sure if there is such a thing)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Even the Dell one referenced in the thread? Ok, sorry then, thought that one at least would do without.

AndyH

Jun 20, 2017
I've just added this to another thread about this card, but for the sake of completeness I'll post it here too:

I've got one plugged into a HP DL380 G7 running FreeNAS. I've only tried it with a single SSD, but only slot 1 works. If the SSD is plugged into slot 2 neither the BIOS or OS recognise it.

Not had time to do any performance testing with it yet, but I plan on using it as L2ARC.

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
It seems a guy got both slot working on a Supermicro SYS-5028D-TN4T board using this BIOS setting: PCIe bifurcation from x16 to x4x4x4x4

Link to thread on Disqus

Myself have a SM X11SSM-F board and I don't have that option in BIOS, so I guess this is not for me.

Last edited:

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
There is a thread about that card here.

Looks like it does work with non-Asus boards, even if not properly (yet?). ASUS themselves only list a few ASUS consumer boards as compatible.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah thanks. Better than the hyperkit then but not really satisfactory;)

davidm71

Dec 16, 2017
So what I'm gathering is that on the second slot your system will not recognize the m.2 nvme drive? Reason I ask is because my 1st x4 lanes on my X99's pci-e#5 slot is shared with the onboard m.2 and if I put in a second nvme m.2 drive my bandwidth lane allocation is halved. However the last x4 lanes on that pci-e#5 slot are not shared with anything. Seems too good to be true for it to work. Bet its all or nothing.

mmaenpaa

Apr 29, 2018
It seems that X11SSM-F got support (if I understand this correctly) for this card with latest bios update, of course I have yet to confirm it :)

Product Name X11SSM-F Release Version 2.1a Release Date 03/07/2018

Enhancements
1. Updated CPU microcode to address ‘Spectre’ variant 2 (CVE 2017
5715) security issue.
2. Changed BIOS revision to 2.1a.
3. Added Ramaxel JEDEC Manufacturer ID to support Ramaxel
memory.
4. Added AOC-SLG3-2M2 1.01 into NVMe table for auto bifurcation

Markku

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Just wanted to report that this card works great in Slot 1 on an X10SRA-F. I currently have a Samsung 960 512GB and an HP EX920 1TB installed.

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
Can confirm AOC-SLG3-2M2 work great on a SM board X11SSM-F.
As long your NVMe devices are running PCIe x4, which all "real" NVMes do. My two 32GB Intel Optane didn't work, as they run x2.
3xnvme.jpg

Bios 2.2:
Advanced / Chipset Configuration / System Agent.... / PEG Port config /
bios.jpg

Made some basic benchmark, even mdadm RAID1, and everything seem to be fine :)

6523.jpg

dminches

Jun 9, 2020
I am trying to use this card in an ASUS Crosshair VII AMD motherboard. I can only get the system to recognize the top card m.2_1. I made changes to the bios but that hasn’t helped. Does anyone have any tips on how they got their card to work?

ctweaver

May 2, 2020
I am trying to use this card in an ASUS Crosshair VII AMD motherboard. I can only get the system to recognize the top card m.2_1. I made changes to the bios but that hasn’t helped. Does anyone have any tips on how they got their card to work?
It looks like your board does support PCI-e bifurcation: [Motherboard] Compatibility of PCIE bifurcation between Hyper M.2 series Cards and Add-On Graphic Cards | Official Support | ASUS USA

That being said, if you have a CPU with gpu onboard it only supports 1 nvme per slot. If you use a Ryzen CPU without onboard GPU you should be able to run 2 drives in the 2nd x16 slot.

dminches

Jun 9, 2020
It looks like your board does support PCI-e bifurcation: [Motherboard] Compatibility of PCIE bifurcation between Hyper M.2 series Cards and Add-On Graphic Cards | Official Support | ASUS USA

That being said, if you have a CPU with gpu onboard it only supports 1 nvme per slot. If you use a Ryzen CPU without onboard GPU you should be able to run 2 drives in the 2nd x16 slot.
Thanks for your reply. I can try booting without the video card and see if both cards are recognized. It could be tricky setting up a RAID0 array without a video card since I need to access the BIOS to do that. The other thing I noticed is that neither card is recognized if the card is in the 2nd slot with the video card installed in any slot.

Sounds like I have some testing to do.

ctweaver

May 2, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I can try booting without the video card and see if both cards are recognized. It could be tricky setting up a RAID0 array without a video card since I need to access the BIOS to do that. The other thing I noticed is that neither card is recognized if the card is in the 2nd slot with the video card installed in any slot.

Sounds like I have some testing to do.
I might not have made what I was saying clear. Which CPU are you running? The list on their site says that any 1st/2nd/3rd gen Ryzen without graphics should work. i.e. a Ryzen 5 2500X does not have graphics and should work with 2 NVME drives, while a Ryzen 5 2400G does and will only accept 1 NVME drive per slot.