Supermicro AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro Launch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
The M12SWA-TF seems amazing, more so since we finally get to see the AST2600 BMC in action. However, it had a few details I don't understand. First, it STILL has VGA, where one of the important features of the AST2600 was the introduction of DisplayPort. Second... why Aquantia 10G NIC? Wasn't Intel the premier go-to solution? Aren't Intel Carlsville NICs good?

Reactions: ari2asem

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does this mean there will be retail threadripper pro cpus that could be used with the mainboard? Sweet! :D

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
@Patrick The links are now lsited on supermicros website
Let us know if this is something you would like us to review.
Defintely interested, especially if you can get the liquid cooled version and compare it to the "traditionally" air cooled version (noise, temperatures in the rack vs office environment, power consumption etc.)

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Spotted pricing in the EU. In specific in Germany for 531,61 €.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Not cheap though...
Nah.

1. Luxury equipment: compared to server boards one gets two more M.2 slots, 2 additional U.2 ports, Audio, 10G...
  2. Doubt its a price aware merchant. So normal price may be around 430 - 495 €
Considering those points it is a bargain compared to Asus and Gigabyte,...

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I finally got the M12SWA-TF with a threaripper pro 3955wx running yesterday and I'm disappointed for two reasons:
- Ipmi didn't work without the cpu and ram installed (bad when you get a milan cpu but the board still has the v1.x bios for rome), tested with sm chassis/psu and different consumer psus
- the pch fan is loud! (And I'm sitting next to a 24u server rack with 1u switches)

I will probably return all parts because the noise of that small fan is audible in different chasis (lian li big tower and sm 745bac), running at 100% even when the system is idling and totally cool.
A quick google search pointed to a thread on thg ([SOLVED] - Whiney 40 mm PCH fan - will dampening foam help?) where somebody else contacted supermicro and they told him that replacing this fan would void the warranty...

Reactions: AdrianBc

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
the pch fan is loud!
Well, that's bad for me. I was going to buy the Supermicro Workstation for a loudness sensitive workplace.
Anybody knows if the fans on the Asus or Gigabyte Mainboards are less loud?

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
- the pch fan is loud! (And I'm sitting next to a 24u server rack with 1u switches)
Did you ever find a solution to this?

Per this video from Level1Techs (see the video at the 9:05 mark), they say it is possible to use IPMI settings to slow down the chipset fan. Did you try this by any chance?