EU Supermicro A1SRI-2758F Mini 8 Bay Server NAS Intel 8Core 32GB Quad NIC USB3 IPMI @ 450€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
Got my three Mini-NAS today ... as promised, some notes ... and pictures (see links)

TL;DN
good hardware, very lovelessly assembled (it hurts to see if you like hardware!), clear scratches and traces, chassis partly defective

chassis and assembling
* sheet metal, aluminium die-casting
* clear signs of wear (all)
* partly damaged (one of the three I got has a broken hot-swap tray)
* holder for expansion slot warped (1 of 3)
* PSU _not_ screwed down at all! (1 of 3)
* front USB not attached to board (1 of 3)
* several screws are loose (>=2 of 3)
* chassis is not easy to disassemble
* chassis screwed together with force, even if it was not inserted correctly (2 of 3)
* additional OS HDD fixed with hot glue which did not hold (>=2 of 3)
* a riser-cable from boad to SAS controller card - fixed with hot glue, which was still in place
* completely useless warranty sticker, because it did not stick on two parts :)

to hardware
* LSI 9211-8i controller card
* Direct-Attach-Backplane SAS
* 4x s0-dimm a 8 GB ECC
* nice looking (not used yet) PWM fans (GELID Solutions | SILENT 12 PWM)
* additional HDD is a 2.5" Toshiba with 120 GB (not 60 as described)
* board looks good and seem to work

firmware and settings
Firmware Revision : 01.76 ... 2.23 is the latest version available from SM
Firmware Build Time: 11/06/2014
BIOS Version : 2.0 ... see the build date. BIOS is updated to latest version
BIOS Build Time : 07/24/2017
* BMC management LAN is set to "Failover" (uses eth0 (?) if dedicated LAN has no cable)
* IPMI has standard supermicro default login (ADMIN/ADMIN)
* IPMI settings seem to be "default", no additional users

links
* Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRi-2758F
* some pics

Update:
* Both backplanes in one chassis are completely broken. Two SAS connectors are wrenched off and some others are loose. I think if one would have put in HDDs and removed them again, more get broken. picture
* all Boards work as expected. And I'm really lucky about that ...
* One of the IPMI had settings that cost me some headache. It was set to VLAN-ID 25 and thats why it didn't got an IP address via DHCP. Even a static IP per BIOS seems not to work. Had to boot an OS and used ipmitool to reset the VLAN id. And only ipmitool shows me, that there was a VLAN id set. Grrrr...

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I also just received my new NAS (though I probably wont use it as that), I was "fortunate" enough to get one in blue (as they stated could happen).
Again build quality is not fantastic, though it does not seem too bad (with the exception of a couple of loose screws inside the case) either, though I haven't finished disassembly yet (just removed the top, took a look inside, and after removing the loose screws I booted it up to BIOS).

Compared to @dtrv 's, my NAS had a few other minor differences besides the color of the case, namely a different HBA (Supermicro SAS2LP-MV8, which is Marvell based) and a different OS disk (WD 120GB with far too much glue on it - it covers what I believe is the "do not cover air hole").

As I mentioned, I booted the device to BIOS (without disks in it) and it appeared to be pretty quiet.

By the way, does anyone have experience with Supermicro's RMA process (for the Atom "bug") and used hardware from eBay etc.?

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
Did anyone who got a NAS from this OP have similar problems as me? How are your systems? Because the seller pretend that I am the only one out of 30 which complains about bad assembled systems, bent hdd trays and broken SAS connectors.

Please report. PM welcome also.