Supermicro A1SAi-2550-F no power?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Hey guys,

So I got my Supermicro A1SAi-2550F motherboard yesterday, and picked up a small
Aopen M360a case that comes with a 60W DC PSU.

The problem I'm having is that the motherboard Manual says I should use the 12v power socket only, which is good because this PSU has a 12v socket, and what looks like an older AT power socket (it's shorter than the ATX connector on the motherboard).

However, when I use only the 12v connector the motherboard doesn't power on.

Here's what the manual says:
---

----
Here's a picture of what's going on in the case:

close up of the problem...

and here's further out:

Any suggestions are welcome...

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
In the case of 12V dc only the PSU is probably off. It can be switched on by shorting the green atx wire to ground.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
With this motherboard you use EITHER the 20/24 pin ATX power connector OR the 4-pin 12v connector. It is not like a "normal" ATX v2+ motherboard where the 4-pin connector supplies extra power directly to the CPU.

Your chassis PSU is ATX. When it is plugged in it supplies power at all times on pin 9 (if done right this is the purple wire). The PSU powers up the rest of the way when the MB shorts pin 16 to ground (pin 14 on a 20 pin connector, the green wire). There is no power present on the 12v leads until this happens - including the 12v leads on the 4-pin extended connector.

The 4-pin 12v power option on this board is really intended for dedicated, non-ATX 12v PSUs in embedded environment.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have actually had quite a bit of challenges with cheap PSUs and lower-power server boards from various vendors. Reliability is not excellent.

spyrule

With this motherboard you use EITHER the 20/24 pin ATX power connector OR the 4-pin 12v connector. It is not like a "normal" ATX v2+ motherboard where the 4-pin connector supplies extra power directly to the CPU.

Your chassis PSU is ATX. When it is plugged in it supplies power at all times on pin 9 (if done right this is the purple wire). The PSU powers up the rest of the way when the MB shorts pin 16 to ground (pin 14 on a 20 pin connector, the green wire). There is no power present on the 12v leads until this happens - including the 12v leads on the 4-pin extended connector.

The 4-pin 12v power option on this board is really intended for dedicated, non-ATX 12v PSUs in embedded environment.

So, since it's a 20pin ATX psu, and the motherboard is 24pin atx connector, do I need a converter, or can I simply pop the 20pin in and it will work (which I've never heard of that working)...

Shorting pins 14 to 15, seems to have made it power on. However, it seems as though I get a power surge to the PSU when I plug the power in now, so I'd rather fix this the "correct" way (without having to replace/swap the case & psu .

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Just use the 20 pin ATX connector. The only difference between the 20-pin ATX 1.x and 24 pin ATX 2.x connector is 2 extra 12v and 2 extra gnd leads. These were added for higher power cpus. The Avoton board most certainly doesn't need this. You'll be fine just using this one.