Supermicro 847A-R1400UB 36 Bay Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
Yet another ebay deal
Supermicro 847A-R1400UB 36x Bay Chassis

The shipping was way too high when I asked about this, turned out to be a the ebay auto-ship price which is always far too much. Now it is more inline with most others.

I make no claim as it it's compatibility or of the sellers reputation but I will say he was polite in our emails. Make him an offer and see what happens

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I saw this the other day and was tempted to bid but, it only seems to accept X8 motherboards and some single socket LGA 1155 X9 motherboards. Rear I/O thing doesn't appear to be removable either. If I were to get it I wouldn't have any issue using an 1366 platform since it would be primarily a storage container.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I saw this the other day and was tempted to bid but, it only seems to accept X8 motherboards and some single socket LGA 1155 X9 motherboards. Rear I/O thing doesn't appear to be removable either. If I were to get it I wouldn't have any issue using an 1366 platform since it would be primarily a storage container.
The "rear window" of the chassis is definitely the older UIO/MIO configuration (using the sideways PCIe hung off a riser). I say "older" because - as you point out - the IO shield does not appear to be replaceable.

However - you can always just buy the whole rear window for $20-30, shipped. It appears to be the same one used in the SC825/SC816 chassis. "standard" window part number is MCP-240-00103-0N.

Reactions: frogtech

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
If you have the x8 motherboard made for the riser card for these Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTU-F, they are actually kind of nice because you get up to 4x full height slots even if you ignore the UIO ones (and you can't really use the UIO slots if you run with 2 CPUs anyway) If you want crazy IOPs, drop in a couple of 9301-16i cards and cable them up with SFF-8087 -> SFF-8643 cables to 32 of the 36 bays!

I recently set one of these with the horizontal slots and SAS2 expander backplanes instead of the direct A backplanes for a friend to migrate his zfs array into - dual 40W Xeon L5630, 96GB of RAM, a 9210-8i to run the internal ports with and a 9200-16e for external JBODs, plus of course a Mellanox ConnectX2 for 10G.

And yes, the back of the SC847 motherboard and slot mounting plate thing is compatible with 2U chassis' and can be traded easily, it's only about 6 recessed screws or so.

We went with the active riser with 4x PCIe 2.0 x8 slots, so I have a leftover riser card for a PCIe 2.0 x16 and a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot directly connected to PCIe lanes, with a blank slot after each, so you could easily drop in 2 GPUs if you wanted to.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
If you have the x8 motherboard made for the riser card for these Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTU-F, they are actually kind of nice because you get up to 4x full height slots even if you ignore the UIO ones (and you can't really use the UIO slots if you run with 2 CPUs anyway) If you want crazy IOPs, drop in a couple of 9301-16i cards and cable them up with SFF-8087 -> SFF-8643 cables to 32 of the 36 bays!

I recently set one of these with the horizontal slots and SAS2 expander backplanes instead of the direct A backplanes for a friend to migrate his zfs array into - dual 40W Xeon L5630, 96GB of RAM, a 9210-8i to run the internal ports with and a 9200-16e for external JBODs, plus of course a Mellanox ConnectX2 for 10G.

And yes, the back of the SC847 motherboard and slot mounting plate thing is compatible with 2U chassis' and can be traded easily, it's only about 6 recessed screws or so.

We went with the active riser with 4x PCIe 2.0 x8 slots, so I have a leftover riser card for a PCIe 2.0 x16 and a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot directly connected to PCIe lanes, with a blank slot after each, so you could easily drop in 2 GPUs if you wanted to.
Are the UIO slots for some specific cards or are they just low profile PCIe?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Are the UIO slots for some specific cards or are they just low profile PCIe?
Low profile PCIe.

Normally the 2U passive heatsinks block them from use. You have two choices:
  • With some MB layouts there is a "notched" 2U passive heatsink you can use that will allow you to use short-depth low profile cards. But the CPU positioning has to be right.

• Or, if your CPU is lower power, use a 1U height heatsink that will sit under the cards. In this case you could also use an active 1U HSF (like the Dynatrons) if you need more heat dissipation for the CPU.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Supermicro UIO cards are the same size as low profile PCIe, but the spacing is different for the bracket, so a regular low profile PCIe card will not mount properly in a UIO slot. See this guy's build blog for pics of him getting UIO cards to fit into regular PCIe slots:
ZFS/ESXi All-In-One, Part 1

Reactions: frogtech