Supermicro 847 with PWS-920P-SQ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
I currently have a Supermicro 846 chassis with PWS-920P-SQ power supplies and I am use to the low noise floor using these PSU's. I was thinking of moving to a Supermicro 847 chassis and was wondering if I could use the same PWS-920P-SQ power supplies?

I only plan on using 14-16 hard drives in the chassis, split between the front and rear, and would never come close to the 45 available. I just prefer the extra separation between drives for cooling purposes.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Depends on the PDB in the 847 or whether you can mount the 846 one in the 847 perchance.
With a proper PDB its no issue.

Reactions: Cipher

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You would be wasting your money if you are moving to an 847 chassis with the intent of never filling it. Cooling will not be better with fewer drives and you in fact will need to ensure that all the unpopulated drive bays have the filler trays to maintain adequate static pressure or else your drives will have even worse cooling.

If low noise is your aim, then the 847 chassis is the wrong choice in that regard too. It's going to be considerably louder than an 846 chassis, even with the the SQ PSUs. With that said, if you plan to forego my advice, those power supplies will work in either chassis.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
You would be wasting your money if you are moving to an 847 chassis with the intent of never filling it. Cooling will not be better with fewer drives and you in fact will need to ensure that all the unpopulated drive bays have the filler trays to maintain adequate static pressure or else your drives will have even worse cooling.

If low noise is your aim, then the 847 chassis is the wrong choice in that regard too. It's going to be considerably louder than an 846 chassis, even with the the SQ PSUs. With that said, if you plan to forego my advice, those power supplies will work in either chassis.
Thanks for the great info BlueFox. I only use 5200rpm drives (12GB+) from Western Digital and there are no fans at all in my chassis expect on the CPU. The current temps I get for my drives are 32-36 degrees, but that is only when I spread out 10 of them. When one of the drives is directly below/above another then the temp rises closer to 40. Therefore, to maintain the lower temps with more than 10 drives I was planning on using the larger capacity 847.