Supermicro 847 Disk chassis fans.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Hi,
I have a Supermicro 847 36 Bay chassis which I purchased recently, the fans are running off the SAS backplane, I would like to know if I would have any problems with what I am planning to do to quiet the system as the existing fans while they do ramp down two notches when the system is running would be enough noise to drive anyone to madness.

I tested one of the 38mm fans on my motherboard and found that if I ran the fan which I believe has a max spec of 7000RPM, at 2400 to 2600RPM it still managed to push a reasonable amount of air with a hell of a lot less noise, the fan type for reference and completeness is NIDEC Ultraflo V80E12BHA5-57.

Now that I have a sweet spot for the audio vs airflow I am trying to establish if I can control the fan speed and what the granularity is for doing so from the backplane - without having a motherboard in the chassis.

Otherwise I have found this which will let me manually set the fan airflow Dial in 8 channel fan controller. and save me having to replace the fans to acheive the desired results.

Can anyone see any gotchas beyond the obvious things may not be kept cool enough?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Now that I have a sweet spot for the audio vs airflow I am trying to establish if I can control the fan speed and what the granularity is for doing so from the backplane - without having a motherboard in the chassis.
I think somewhere in the faqs supermicro said that the backplane has just 2 modes for the fans, 60( or 70) % rpm and 100% rpm controlled by the management chip on the backplane. If it detects a failed or missing fans it goes into the second mode and runs the fans at 100%.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I think somewhere in the faqs supermicro said that the backplane has just 2 modes for the fans, 60( or 70) % rpm and 100% rpm controlled by the management chip on the backplane. If it detects a failed or missing fans it goes into the second mode and runs the fans at 100%.
Thanks for that, do you know if it detects no fans connected to the backplan will it trigger an alarm signal?