EXPIRED Supermicro 847 45 bay JBOD - $200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
No power supplies or caddies, but they're not that expensive to obtain. The JBOD units fortunately also only ever had SAS2 backplanes. No idea if it's single or dual expander. Listed as untested, but my guess is that it's fine. They do take returns as well.

Now sold

Last edited:

aij

May 7, 2017
Based on past experience (with a different seller IIRC), I'm hesitant to assume anything listed as "For parts or not working" would work or can be easily fixed.

This seller does seem to be accepting returns though, so maybe...

Reactions: Samir

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
For parts ... means you cant return it no matter whats wrong with it. I would avoid listings like this.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
For parts ... means you cant return it no matter whats wrong with it. I would avoid listings like this.
That’s not always true. In this case as pointed out they accept returns although with buyer paid shipping which makes it far less appealing. This listing even mentions a 14 guarantee although I’d hash out what that covers before buying.

“For parts” also doesn’t remove all responsibility from the seller. If they describe or show something different than what you get they are still on the hook.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
My personal experience is that many large sellers will list things for parts when they honestly do not know how to test an item. I imagine this is the case here, no pun intended.

Reactions: Samir and Aestr

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
My personal experience is that many large sellers will list things for parts when they honestly do not know how to test an item. I imagine this is the case here, no pun intended.
But a lot of resellers will also do this when they've stripped off everything good and it literally is only good for the parts. ;)

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
But a lot of resellers will also do this when they've stripped off everything good and it literally is only good for the parts. ;)
Given the backplanes were visible, didn't think that was the situation here. Either way, someone has unsurprisingly bought it.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Given the backplanes were visible, didn't think that was the situation here. Either way, someone has unsurprisingly bought it.
The backplanes could be bad too though. Someone will find out though! Anyone on here bought it?

Reactions: T_Minus

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
The listing says " no power supply and controller PCB ". If it is missing the power supply controller and fan controller cards, it will be another hassle to find and install them.

I prefer NetAPP disk shelves albeit they are less dense and power inefficient. SM chassis are too tight and they needs lots of airflow to keep the drives cool hence lots of noise. They are definitely denser and applicable if you are not planning the run them in your dwelling. I have the 3U version and I had to leave some slots blank to keep the drives cool while fans are running at reasonable noise levels which means I can still hear them in the house although they are in a full enclosure in my garage.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
What about the Netapp makes them “less dense” if they hold the same number of drives per U?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
NetApp holds 24 drives in 4U, this SM enclosure holds 45 drives in 4U.