EU Supermicro 847 36 bay chassis with board, HBAs, NIC, etc - £350

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
@alex i have a DOS CD ready but i need a PS2 Keybort. I will install newer Hardware so those Boards can wait

IMG_6468.JPG
does enyone now why they connect the PSU bus to those pinns? IMG_6470.JPG IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6472.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6474.JPG
nice redy for x9/x10 BoardsIMG_6475.JPG

Tomorrow i will swap the front Backplane with the SAS3 expander one and go on with the upgrade from the SC846 Chassis.:D

Reactions: _alex

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Ah, you put the CDROM on the SATA where the DOM was?
I have a PS22usb Adapter that is quite valluable, and also some old PS2 Keyboards in Office - always a mess when one is needed but not available.

do you swap the 24x backplane?
i consider to swap the small backplane in the back with a sas2-el1 from 826 i have leftofer amd drive it with a 9261 or 9207 to have at least some sas2 bays for the beginning. Not sure if its necessary to put in a x9-Board or just use what it comes with to expose the disks/be a quroum-node in the cluster.

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
@alex i have a DOS CD ready but i need a PS2 Keybort. I will install newer Hardware so those Boards can wait

View attachment 2650
does enyone now why they connect the PSU bus to those pinns? View attachment 2651 View attachment 2652 View attachment 2654 View attachment 2655 View attachment 2656
nice redy for x9/x10 BoardsView attachment 2657

Tomorrow i will swap the front Backplane with the SAS3 expander one and go on with the upgrade from the SC846 Chassis.:D
For some reason I thought switching the backplane wasn't necessary as it was passive. Figured swapping out the controllers would do xD

Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Ah, you put the CDROM on the SATA where the DOM was?
I have a PS22usb Adapter that is quite valluable, and also some old PS2 Keyboards in Office - always a mess when one is needed but not available.

do you swap the 24x backplane?
i consider to swap the small backplane in the back with a sas2-el1 from 826 i have leftofer amd drive it with a 9261 or 9207 to have at least some sas2 bays for the beginning. Not sure if its necessary to put in a x9-Board or just use what it comes with to expose the disks/be a quroum-node in the cluster.
Yes i just conectet the DvD Drive direktly to the board. Works fine also testet with Server 2012 R2.

Jep i will Swap the 24x Backplane with the SAS3 version so that i can use the two extra Ports from the expander to connect 8 Drives on the Back. (so i have 32 Drives on my LSI Controlle) The Other 4 Bay will be used for OS disks.

For some reason I thought switching the backplane wasn't necessary as it was passive. Figured swapping out the controllers would do xD

Hmm

Swapping the Controller is enought but i will use Hardware Raid and i does not want more Raidcontrollers or SAS Expanders. (and i have the Backplanes)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
you should get another 12x backplane with Expander for the back and drive all with your 8i Card :)
wish i had a 24x backplane with sas3 expander, they are quite rare and still expensive ...

Good to know that a CDROM on the SATA-Port works to boot in another os.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
oh, the picture looks wrong:rolleyes: the cable comes from the PSUs (PSU Bus for Status normaly this goes direkt to the Mobo near to the 24ATX connection) and goes to those jumpers by the PCIe slots. (not from Fan 6)

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
you should get another 12x backplane with Expander for the back and drive all with your 8i Card :)
wish i had a 24x backplane with sas3 expander, they are quite rare and still expensive ...

Good to know that a CDROM on the SATA-Port works to boot in another os.
Yeah but not for the price for SAS 3 Stuff:( (32 Drives are enought for now:D)

I could connect all Drives with one 8 Port Contoller and the 24x Backplane (40 Port Expander) but than i would get 32 Drives over one Link and thats not ideal.

For the 24x look up Ebay from time to time i get them for 225€:) (First one by auction for 40€:cool::D)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
that is then system Management Bus (near power) to i2c, what could make sense.
Improves pci-Performance (regarding to the manual). but not sure how this exactly works, and as you wrote its the power-smb they connected ....

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
that is then system Management Bus (near power) to i2c, what could make sense.
Improves pci-Performance (regarding to the manual). but not sure how this exactly works, and as you wrote its the power-smb they connected ....
Yea it is the first time that i see somthing like this "mod" on a Supermicro Box.

And it is hard to understand becouse the header for the PSU bus is not conectet where it should be for monitoring through the IPMI.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Had some fun today:D.

Backup Server is done. (Reconfiguring now)

Hardware: E5-2670, Supermicro, X9DRI-F, 16GB RAM, LSI 9266-8i, X540-T2, 32 x 2TB Drives enterprise

in a week or so (180Hrs):( the main Storage will get an upgrade. Same Hardware only change is a Adaptec 8885.

IMG_6482.JPG IMG_6481.JPG IMG_6480.JPG IMG_6479.JPG IMG_6478.JPG
Unbenannt.png

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Received mine today, been disassembling for hours already xD.. But booted up fine, etc

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Mine still on the way, regarding the tracking it arrived at and departed from Nürnberg today, need to go down the way to Allgäu now, so hopefully getting it monday.

@michate: Oh, no SAS3-Card, so SFF-8087 -> SFF->8643 ?
Did you daisy-chain from the front-backplane output ports to two ports of the Back-Backplane, with an SFF-8643 -> SFF-8078 Cable again ?

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
@michate: Oh, no SAS3-Card, so SFF-8087 -> SFF->8643 ?
Did you daisy-chain from the front-backplane output ports to two ports of the Back-Backplane, with an SFF-8643 -> SFF-8078 Cable again ?
Thats exactly what i did. :D

The main Server will get a SAS3 Card.

fvanlint

May 23, 2016
Netherlands
vlint.nu
So I managed to enable IPMI on this CORAID machine by following these steps:
  1. Reboot the box, and hit the Del key to get to the BIOS setup. If the BIOS requests a password, the old Coraid BIOS password is pwzm.
  2. Find the IPMI tab using the Right Arrow, and hit Enter to bring it up.
  3. Hit Down Arrow, then Enter to get into the BMC network configuration settings.
  4. Hit Enter, then Down Arrow, then Enter to change the Update IPMI LAN Config setting to Yes.
  5. Hit Down Arrow, then Enter, to select the Configuration Address source setting to either Static or DHCP, then hit Enter.
  6. If DHCP was chosen in step [9], ignore this step. If the setting chosen in step [9] was Static, set the Station IP address, Subnet mask, and Gateway IP address settings appropriately.
  7. Hit ESC twice, then Right Arrow to get to the Save and Exit tab, then Down Arrow to select Save Changes and Exit, then Enter to make it save and reboot.
  8. Connect over http to IPMI
core•aid: setting up IPMI