Supermicro 846TQ with Intel S2600CP Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I'm building the above system. The MB, HBAs, everything except the power supplies came out of my Istar chassis where it worked just fine. Installed it into the 846TQ with the standard 900W redundant power supply, bought the approved wire adapter to hook up the header to non-supermicro motherboards so that the on/off switch works and the HD, nic etc lights come on. This is a brand new box, not new to me but new like never used before.

Plugging in power causes the power supply fans to start at a high speed and then drop down but they never turn off. I can turn on system power and everything boots up, drives are recognized and it is ready to roll. Turning it off does shut down the system except for the power supply. Even with no power connectors attached to anything if you plug in the power supply it will just run. I let it run for an hour and it still didn't shut down. Power supply indicator LEDs are green when turned on as they should be, but solid amber when system is powered down which indicates some error.

I don't have the SMbus (or maybe it is the PMbus) 5 pin, 4 wire connector attached mainly because it isn't long enough to reach the motherboard connection. That could be the reason but I can't find anything that says so.

Any ideas out there in server land?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I have a similar chassis I bought used. That is how mine work as well. One thing to keep in mind with server gear, the BMC is always active if there is power. This enables IPMI so you can power up remotely. So the power supplies never really stop delivering some power. It's not a lot, but they likely do need to be cooled.

I suspect it's just how server PSUs are designed. They run the fans if they are plugged in.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I have a similar chassis I bought used. That is how mine work as well. One thing to keep in mind with server gear, the BMC is always active if there is power. This enables IPMI so you can power up remotely. So the power supplies never really stop delivering some power. It's not a lot, but they likely do need to be cooled.

I suspect it's just how server PSUs are designed. They run the fans if they are plugged in.

Maybe I was just used to the PS in my Istar chassis, it didn't fan up unit the system was powered on. Are your PS indicator lights amber when system power is off?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I'm not sure about the lights, I haven't had the thing off in a while now. :)

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I'm not sure about the lights, I haven't had the thing off in a while now. :)
No problem but there is no way in hell I'm leaving that on 24/7. Just built a 20amp e-box with a switch, epoxied some magnets on the back and I'll be all set in about an hour.