Supermicro 846A backplane green LED?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have 2 Supermicro 846A backplanes, each in their own 846 chassis. On one of them when I power on the server, on the upper left back side (when facing the front) of the backplane there's a green LED that turns on. On the other one, there's no such green LED. They both seem to function normally, albeit I haven't had the time to thoroughly test each of the 48 slots yet, but HDD plugged in are detected.

what is this green LED and what does it mean? is there a jumper setting difference between the two 846A backplanes?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
thanks @frogtech (once again!)

great.. so something isn't right then? man, too much going wrong this week....

btw, where did you find that information?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
supermicro has decent documentation for most of their core components, I found it by googling bpn-sas-846a.

honestly I wouldn't even worry about it. double check your power connectors to the backplane.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@frogtech thanks for patiently pointing me to the obvious.. :D

i'll check later on. looks like there's a jumper to enable the fan from the backplane.. but i'm driving the fans from the motherboard so maybe that's what it's complaining about.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Oh yes there is that but in my experience if the jumper is configured to expect fans the backplane beeps continuously. Though I've only had experience with the backplane bpn-sas2-846el1(sas2 expander) so their behavior could be slightly different.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Oh yes there is that but in my experience if the jumper is configured to expect fans the backplane beeps continuously. Though I've only had experience with the backplane bpn-sas2-846el1(sas2 expander) so their behavior could be slightly different.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
ok. that's good to know.

now that i'm reading the docs for the backplane, looks like there's a jumper to turn on/off the buzzer too, so maybe that's disabled since any of those green LEDs means there's a problem and i've heard no beeping so far. anyway, i'll check on it once i have the time.

thanks for pointing me to the docs; that's the definitive source and more reliable than internet hearsay.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Well, it turns out the green LED that are on, are the D53 and D54. According to Supermicro, they should be on during normal operation. So, now I'm concerned that my other 846A which doesn't have those LEDs on may have a problem. Need to go check on that one next...