Supermicro 846 cooling of PCI-E HBA controllers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
are those the noctua industrial iPPC fans? which ones? the 2000 or 3000? i'm assuming you have an expander backplane?
And is that a custom fan wall? If not how did you manage to fit the ippc fans on the standard fan wall?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@AJXCR oh wait, you have a 847, not a 846 right? So, it looks like you removed the original fan wall and the bottom part that the Supermicro fan wall sits on with the holes for cables? And this Norco fan wall fits the full height of the chassis? How are you attaching it to the chassis?

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
@AJXCR oh wait, you have a 847, not a 846 right? So, it looks like you removed the original fan wall and the bottom part that the Supermicro fan wall sits on with the holes for cables? And this Norco fan wall fits the full height of the chassis? How are you attaching it to the chassis?

Correct on the chassis being an 847, although the process would be the same on an 846. I stripped the chassis down originally to run an ultra board, so the additional length dictated fan wall placement.

Never could find the matching rear windows for the riser cards however, so I threw in this DAC. Rivets can be drilled out in seconds for removal, and a rivet tool/rivets can be purchased from just about any hardware or auto parts store for installation.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Correct on the chassis being an 847, although the process would be the same on an 846. I stripped the chassis down originally to run an ultra board, so the additional length dictated fan wall placement.

Never could find the matching rear windows for the riser cards however, so I threw in this DAC. Rivets can be drilled out in seconds for removal, and a rivet tool/rivets can be purchased from just about any hardware or auto parts store for installation.
What are your hard drive temps since the fan wall replacement?
I'm considering something similar on my 846, but I worry about not pulling enough through the hard drives.

Adam

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
What are your hard drive temps since the fan wall replacement?
I'm considering something similar on my 846, but I worry about not pulling enough through the hard drives.

Adam
Adam,

Sorry for the late response. I just pulled the SMART info for the drives and it appears they run around 31 degrees C.