Supermicro 846 chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
This listin popped up on my CL alerts. Not a great price but negotiable and the seller has quantity available. San Antonio and surrounding areas can avoid shipping. Internals are pretty dated so not worth much if any.

Last edited:
Reactions: ullbeking

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
@nthu9280 I know the SC846 has a reputation for being friendly to modders, especially those who want to make a "very quiet" server with lots of storage. That is, either a NAS or a file server.

I would love to get an 846 and do an experiment. I have excellent hearing and am very sensitive to noise around me. Computers are often fine but I can't be next to a loud workstation or sitting next to a 42U.

Is this something I should try?

I have about 30x 3 TB WD Red NAS HDD's and these would do well in such an enclosure, providing that noise is acceptable.

Or, I could fill it 30-50% with disks and leave the rest of the space empty. Cool air flows between HDD's, reducing weight of the file server,

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Aren't sm846 a 24 disks enclosure?
You can not drop all 30 in it,,

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
@nthu9280 I know the SC846 has a reputation for being friendly to modders, especially those who want to make a "very quiet" server with lots of storage. That is, either a NAS or a file server.

I would love to get an 846 and do an experiment. I have excellent hearing and am very sensitive to noise around me. Computers are often fine but I can't be next to a loud workstation or sitting next to a 42U.

Is this something I should try?

I have about 30x 3 TB WD Red NAS HDD's and these would do well in such an enclosure, providing that noise is acceptable.

Or, I could fill it 30-50% with disks and leave the rest of the space empty. Cool air flows between HDD's, reducing weight of the file server,
Sell those disks and get 8*12T disks, get a super quiet case. You will get your money back in 2 years from electricity bill.
I replaced my SM846 24*3TB disk with SM743 Whisper Quiet case with 8*10TB disks.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
Sell those disks and get 8*12T disks, get a super quiet case. You will get your money back in 2 years from electricity bill.
I replaced my SM846 24*3TB disk with SM743 Whisper Quiet case with 8*10TB disks.
I did this a few years ago and never looked back. Unless you really have ridiculous storage needs, the 743 with 8 drive bays is the way to go with today's disk capacities. It sits right in my living room and nobody knows it's there.

You can also buy and install one of those 5 in 3 drive bays for ~$100 if you need a little more capacity.

Reactions: TXAG26