EU Supermicro 846 - €340 shipped in EU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Also tried with an ca. 1kw (dont have it at hand) Gold psu from an 826, that fit the 825, so narrow, too.

interesting, the larger psu dropped power draw significantly, also with two in dual psu setup.

that was abt 30-40w, what is quite heavy for the system idling at 108w with 2x the larger gold psu.
this made me think i should maybe get 4x the 740w or even 500w platinum and get rid of the golds. also, ipmi shows only ca. 30-40w out of the 108w total as output power under ,power sources', so i wonder how to reduce this fairly large overhead. imho fans (connected to board headers) and bmc accounts to ,ouput power', too?

maybe the psu much larger than 1kw/designed for 4u are all wide ?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think I have a pair of gold ones that are wide (from the last 846). Had to get new PDB for my 836 to fit it... Will need to get the # of them.

Been looking for a pair or two of affordable platinum's for a while, but p&p eats up all good prices from the US and little (cheap) availability in EU :/

Edit: PWS-741P-1R I think , tried using them with PDB-PT825-N24, didnt work, got PDB-PT826-8824 instead (as per SM support)
Asked for a compatibility matrix (pdb vs PSU) as well but there was none, late last year

Edit2: Actually I am using them with PWS-1K21P-1R's, but I got new PDB for the 741 originally. Both Gold level

Last edited:

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I might head for a bigger lot of platinum, trying to be below usd 30/ea before freight/customs ...

Freight should be reasonable combined, and customs ,as usual', should be possible to get some more if interested.

Unfortunately all my platinum that fit the 825 are in Production, so no way to compare one by one with the gold on a reference system to get exact numbers :(

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Not really, only found serial, but not model. Also, dont have an exactly identical unit/server to those deployed at labs, and there is also load on them/i cant bring them down to get powered-off figures with only bmc running.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
X9 in production, will have a Look tomorrow.

But havent seen/found this on x10srl-f today (recent/latest bmc Firmware flashed before). Tried with freeipmi/dcmi then, but also no way to get the psu model, at least not on the short.

What Board is your screenshot from?

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
guess i'll sort this out tomorrow at office and create an extra thread with exact wattage and modles of the teo different gold psu's

if thats really >30W difference, and still unclear where ~60w out of 108 are burnt going (cheap) platinum for saving maybe another 30w pays them quite fast.

Reactions: zeynel

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Did some tests, and if the values in ipmi are somehow reliable this will be quite shocking numbers.
Guess somewhen tonight i'll post the reults i have so far in the chassis forum .
Guess this needs a bit of write-up around the bare numbers, but have some work to do now :(