Supermicro 836BA-R920B - Question concerning harddrive activity LEDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
Hi!

I am currently using a Supermicro 836BA-R920B Chassis which contains a 16 Port direct attach SATA/SAS Backplane.

As HBA I am using a Microsemi HBA 1100-16i. All my drives (16x SAS) show no activity ( I mean the LEDs from the drive trays).

I read about SGPIO Cables but I am still unsure, as it seems that the HBA does not have that header (it has a 8 pin header which says UART and not SGPIO).

The mainboard (H12SSL-CT) does have an SGPIO header but I am unsure if that can be used.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Many thanks in advance!
Chris

Edit: I noticed that when I hot swap a disk both LEDs of the Tray are blinking blue for a bit and when there is activity on the disks one of the leds of each tray blinks red, but once there is no activity, all LEDs are off. At least one LED per Tray should constanly be on (blue) to indicate that there is disk in the tray.

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks, interesting stuff in there but I couldn't find out if the LED behaviour can be changed though.

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
In case anyone is interested:

For SAS Disks you can use the following (under Linux):

sginfo -XRt 0x19 /dev/sda 0 2000 2000

0 = LED ON

1 = LED OFF

Worked like a charm and the change is persistent as well.