Supermicro 836 chassis $150 OBO + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Handles should just be secured by 3 screws. I think they are standard #6-32 threaded screws but I could be wrong.
I hate when these guys pack the chassis with Handles & Power supplies on the chassis. Just adding more possibility of damage during shipping especially with 2U or larger chassis
It looks like the handles are secured with screws into thread rivets. The rivets broke off so there is nothing to screw into anymore. I'm guessing I should be able to get some threaded rivets, and a rivet tool to fix this.

Attachments

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
It looks like the handles are secured with screws into thread rivets. The rivets broke off so there is nothing to screw into anymore. I'm guessing I should be able to get some threaded rivets, and a rivet tool to fix this.
that happened to me once, fortunately, it was only 1 of the 3, so i was still able to use the handle; they don't need to take much weight as long as you're mounting the server horizontally and not vertically. but no, i never had much luck finding the things you're calling a "rivet" ... not really sure what it is called, but I don't think you'll find it under "rivets".

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Handles should just be secured by 3 screws. I think they are standard #6-32 threaded screws but I could be wrong.
I hate when these guys pack the chassis with Handles & Power supplies on the chassis. Just adding more possibility of damage during shipping especially with 2U or larger chassis
^^^ this here is good advice... i usually ask sellers to remove the handles and put them and the screws in a ziplock bag for me because they almost always get damaged in shipping unless the seller has really good packing for the chassis.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
that happened to me once, fortunately, it was only 1 of the 3, so i was still able to use the handle; they don't need to take much weight as long as you're mounting the server horizontally and not vertically. but no, i never had much luck finding the things you're calling a "rivet" ... not really sure what it is called, but I don't think you'll find it under "rivets".
Rivet isn't the correct term, its a "threaded insert"... they are installed like a rivet. Not exactly the same thing supermicro uses, but this might work? https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...rt-25-count/80692/p-1444421796643-c-19474.htm

Bummed about the damage, but I contacted the seller and they gave me a $30 discount. Maybe a tube of JBWeld will do the trick? :D

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Rivet isn't the correct term, its a "threaded insert"... they are installed like a rivet. Not exactly the same thing supermicro uses, but this might work? https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...rt-25-count/80692/p-1444421796643-c-19474.htm

Bummed about the damage, but I contacted the seller and they gave me a $30 discount. Maybe a tube of JBWeld will do the trick? :D
if you try it, please let me know how it goes! would be curious if that works...

on a side note, if your CT-040 came with the Supermicro X8DTH-iF motherboard, i know it is older, but it is actually a pretty nice board. The dual IOH allows all 7 PCI-E slots to work with a single CPU, so it was the cheapest board I could find that allowed the most PCI-E slots with the least CPU. The later condition is probably possible now with AMD Ryzen/EPYC, but probably not at the cost of a L5630+X8DTH-iF; great combo for flashing firmware on lots of cards at the same time.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
if you try it, please let me know how it goes! would be curious if that works...

on a side note, if your CT-040 came with the Supermicro X8DTH-iF motherboard, i know it is older, but it is actually a pretty nice board. The dual IOH allows all 7 PCI-E slots to work with a single CPU, so it was the cheapest board I could find that allowed the most PCI-E slots with the least CPU. The later condition is probably possible now with AMD Ryzen/EPYC, but probably not at the cost of a L5630+X8DTH-iF; great combo for flashing firmware on lots of cards at the same time.
It does have an X8DTH-iF. I was planning on selling it with the CPU and ram and throwing my S2600CP2 in (a bit of a Frankenstein, I know). I wouldn't mind a 2011 X9 supermicro board, but don't really want to shell out the money and deal with selling my current board.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@ajs : BTW, if you plan to use the 836TQ backplane, and you are going to connect it to a PCI-E SAS card, I have the part numbers for the perfect SFF-8087->4xSATA breakout cables from Supermicro if you need them. Note, the ports are ordered vertically, not horizontally like the 825TQ backplane.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
@ajs : BTW, if you plan to use the 836TQ backplane, and you are going to connect it to a PCI-E SAS card, I have the part numbers for the perfect SFF-8087->4xSATA breakout cables from Supermicro if you need them. Note, the ports are ordered vertically, not horizontally like the 825TQ backplane.
I have a couple SFF-8087 cables already, but I'll take note of that part # incase they don't work. Thanks!

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a couple SFF-8087 cables already, but I'll take note of that part # incase they don't work. Thanks!
any breakout cable will work, nothing special about the cables, but i like to find cables that are almost just the right length so i don't have excess cable around. the SMCI cables are:

2x CBL-0097L-03
2x CBL-0237L-01

If you view the drive bays in columns, starting from the left: A, B, C, D. Use the 0097 cable on column A, and 0237 cable on column C, and they will join up closely as a pair to go into a dual port SAS card. Do similarly with column B + D. I use automotive cloth electrical tape, or zip ties to bind them neatly together.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
it can be a bit of trial and error (and $), but the best is when you can find the right length for the STAGGERED SM 8087 break out cables, like this one:
CBL-0278L-01 // https://store.supermicro.com/43cm-minisas-sata-cbl-0278l-01.html

(just an example, this is prob not the right length for your system).
ewrerCapture.PNG

quite a few times ive use pieces of cut up cat5 cable to measure out the staggers. when they have the right size, its the best when you have to use a TQ type backplane.

the SM estore has reasonable prices on many items, and their pakcaking for shipment is 2nd to none! (not that it matters on parts like this, but im always impressed when i open up their shipments)

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
it can be a bit of trial and error (and $), but the best is when you can find the right length for the STAGGERED SM 8087 break out cables, like this one:
CBL-0278L-01 // https://store.supermicro.com/43cm-minisas-sata-cbl-0278l-01.html

(just an example, this is prob not the right length for your system).
View attachment 9960

quite a few times ive use pieces of cut up cat5 cable to measure out the staggers. when they have the right size, its the best when you have to use a TQ type backplane.

the SM estore has reasonable prices on many items, and their pakcaking for shipment is 2nd to none! (not that it matters on parts like this, but im always impressed when i open up their shipments)
See my post above about how the ports are arranged. Staggered cables won't work if you intend to properly wire the sideband as well. The ports are arranged vertically, not horizontally. Also, the SATA runs very close to the fans, so you want to route them towards the bottom of chassis.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
See my post above about how the ports are arranged. Staggered cables won't work if you intend to properly wire the sideband as well. The ports are arranged vertically, not horizontally. Also, the SATA runs very close to the fans, so you want to route them towards the bottom of chassis.
Thanks for all the info guys, saving me a lot of time researching this all (on the flip side, my wallet is hurting more :D).

One thing about the breakout cables I have now is I don't have the sideband cable. What functionality do I lose by not having the sideband hooked up to the backplane? Running a SAS2308 HBA in IT mode.