Supermicro 826 Chassis - $84 eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

USER189364

Jul 17, 2020
In the pictures it shows an X7 board, but the description lists an X9 board, as well as V3/V4 - Not sure which it is. If V3/V4, that is a pretty good deal - If x7, then perhaps not so much

Reactions: ere109

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
In the pictures it shows an X7 board, but the description lists an X9 board, as well as V3/V4 - Not sure which it is. If V3/V4, that is a pretty good deal - If x7, then perhaps not so much
That's what I was thinking... x7 probably needs new backplane too

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
and I am not even sure you can swap power supply easly
My understanding those chassis will not work with AC power supply by just swapping the PSU you need to change a bit more than that

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
Looks really close to an SC826 to me.
It does look like the 48v psu could be swapped out.

Got one as an old ReadyNAS 3200.
I've swapped the Motherboard for a Gigabyte GA-7PESH1 and while most of the standoffs matched, the pesky one closest to the power supply is missing.
I had to add a plastic standoff there.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I think it probably has the X7 board in the picture: I can't find anything on the SM site for "X9DWN+", and AFAIK no X9 took E5 V3/V4 cpus. I've seen other listings from that seller with mixed info, and when I inquired they replied to believe the picture over description and/or title. YMMV though, of course.

OTOH, its ex-Cisco, so who knows what kind of custom ordered stuff exists in there :rolleyes:

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
They've updated the description. It says X7 now.

But dang, those descriptions are all over the place!
One part says it's a CS847 (No way it is). Then there is still a reference to "X9DWN+" which I don't think is a thing.
X7DWN doesn't support any E5 2600 Xeons.

Last edited:

ere109

Jan 19, 2021
Denver
Thanks for all the feedback. They look old, but I figured everything would be the same inside. I didn't think there would be post differences. I watched that for several days, started a thread about the -48v.
I'd anyone buys one, please update.

Reactions: T_Minus

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
esiso descriptions are generally awful. Sometimes you win and it's better than described, but with them I find the pictures and title are more accurate than the detailed description. If you're not sure assume that it's the worst case scenario of the combination unless you want to confirm with them before ordering, which also can be a crapshoot. Since it's ebay you can pretty reliably send it back and get all of your money back, but it can be a hassle if you're not paying attention.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Since it's ebay you can pretty reliably send it back and get all of your money back
you'd get your money back and then ESISO would ban you from bidding on their auctions ever again. Ask me how I know.

As for the deal - the old mobo and DC psu would not be a deal breaker for me. But no included trays is. Anyone knows the backplane p/n?

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
if u look hard nuf on Pic 3 u can see a set of SFF-8086 connectors on the right hand side (not connected) on it so assume 3-6Gbps on the dataplane, def not 12gbps

Either way im in for 1 cause i actually was needing one of these for an AMD EPYC board (Super Micro) thats on the way! and everyone else selling just the chassis wants 200+

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am not sure if this is such a good deal. It is very old and you need to buy new power supplies assuming that you can replace.

I have been passing on local 2u s under $100 all the time. I think I can get a more recent from ebay under 150 with an x9 motherboard

Doesn't worth for the hassle.

Reactions: T_Minus

daviddoran

May 7, 2016
They also have a 24sff 2.5" version which has more pictures. The backplane is the SAS216A so it would seem that you could use it as is if you had enough sas ports, or a pci expander. That version has an X8 board in the description and in pictures, so it's overall more consistent.